Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop someone from remotely accessing my iPad?

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 9:36 AM

Provided that you didn’t install a profile, you’re in a better place than might otherwise be the case.

First, ensure that you only have trusted Apps, that you actually need, installed on your iPad. Review the list of installed Apps here:

Settings > General > iPad Storage

If you see any Apps that you don’t need - or don’t recognise - return to your Home Screen(s) and delete the Apps from there.

Once you have pruned/verified your installed Apps to those that are needed, ensure that you have a current iCloud (or iTunes) backup of your iPad. If necessary, trigger an iCloud backup:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Backup > iCloud Backup - set to ON - then select Backup Now

When the backup is complete, reset your iPad to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

The Factory Restore will completely erase your iPad - and install a fresh copy of the most recent supported version of iPadOS. At the end of the Restore process, you can restore your data from your backup; the Apps that previously remained on your iPad, after your pruning exercise, will be reinstalled “clean” from the App Store.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, change your AppleID/iCloud password - and complete any post-change actions:

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Changing your AppleID password is crucial in protecting your account and your data. You should also verify that your secondary/recovery email addresses - and your trusted telephone numbers - are up to date and belong to you. Access, verify and update your account here:

https://appleid.apple.com

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Jonifromindiana

Provided that you didn’t install a profile, you’re in a better place than might otherwise be the case.

First, ensure that you only have trusted Apps, that you actually need, installed on your iPad. Review the list of installed Apps here:

Settings > General > iPad Storage

If you see any Apps that you don’t need - or don’t recognise - return to your Home Screen(s) and delete the Apps from there.

Once you have pruned/verified your installed Apps to those that are needed, ensure that you have a current iCloud (or iTunes) backup of your iPad. If necessary, trigger an iCloud backup:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Backup > iCloud Backup - set to ON - then select Backup Now

When the backup is complete, reset your iPad to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

The Factory Restore will completely erase your iPad - and install a fresh copy of the most recent supported version of iPadOS. At the end of the Restore process, you can restore your data from your backup; the Apps that previously remained on your iPad, after your pruning exercise, will be reinstalled “clean” from the App Store.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, change your AppleID/iCloud password - and complete any post-change actions:

Changing your AppleID password is crucial in protecting your account and your data. You should also verify that your secondary/recovery email addresses - and your trusted telephone numbers - are up to date and belong to you. Access, verify and update your account here:

https://appleid.apple.com

Jun 29, 2020 9:15 AM in response to Jonifromindiana

Why would you have called Microsoft about an iPad? Where did you install this app from? Unless you have jailbroken your iPad, you can only install apps from the App Store. The exception is if you install a profile. Did the "tech" have you do that?

Restore your iPad to factory state. Do not reload your back up.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM in response to Jonifromindiana

What makes you believe that your iPad has been hacked - and is being remotely accessed? Is this just a hypothetical question - or is something more specific?

Provided that your iPad has not been jailbroken, it is highly resistant to malware threats. That said, whilst iPad cannot be “infected” by malware in the traditional sense (i.e. a “computer virus”), as with all computer systems, there are vulnerabilities and threats to which you remain exposed.

If you can provide more information about your concern, or reasons why you believe that you have a problem, a more specific response might be possible.

Jun 29, 2020 9:01 AM in response to Jamesd49

I've recently downloaded an app a Microsoft tech support person told me to put on my tablet. Stupidly, I gave him control of my tablet. Then, after they wanted to charge me money for a firewall program or something, I terminated the call. Yesterday, while on my tablet, I noticed an arrow curser moving around on my screen. Since it wasn't me doing it, I figured they still had access to my tablet. I've deleted the app they wanted me to put on my iPad. What else should I do to make my iPad more secure?

Jun 29, 2020 9:11 AM in response to Jonifromindiana

I believe that you been scammed - using a common ruse employed by some rogue trying to extort money or steal information.

Do you recall the name of the App that you installed? You may find it listed under the “Purchased” section of your account in the Apple App Store App.

Were you asked to install a “profile” on your iPad - prior to downloading/installing this “remote-control” App on your iPad?

Jun 29, 2020 9:10 AM in response to LotusPilot

I was getting help from what I thought was a Microsoft tech agent & he wanted me to install an app from the app store. I did, but not realizing it, it gave him control of my tablet. After talking with him for a few minutes, I felt it was a scam and terminated the conversation. However, yesterday while on my tablet, I noticed a curser moving around, and it wasn't me doing it. I tapped it and it went away. So I figured they still had access of it and immediately deleted the app they had me put on my tablet. I just don't know if I should do anything else.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.