Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2019 (16") - Integrated Graphics lagging / stutter

Hi' everyone

I have a MacBook Pro 2019 (16") - Intel i9, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd, and AMD Radeon PRO 5500M discrete gpu.

When ever I run on the integrated gpu (Intel UHD 630) I experience small lag's/stutter when doing common tasks, like browsing the web or watching a video. It doesn't mather what browser or video player I use.

I've found a lot of other users having the same issue, here and on other forums as well.

The solution suggested everywhere is to turn off automatic graphics switching - and while it makes the issue go away, for me that's not a real solution but a workaround for a bug in the system or hardware.

Has apple really no solution or permanent fix that allows me to use the laptop as intended ? I have cheaper and older computers with worse specs than my MacBook that run everything fine on the integrated gpu - even at 4k... so please.. any other suggestions - or is apple just ignorant to this "bad user experience" they are selling for 3k?

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 11:27 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jul 3, 2020 6:11 AM in response to Peffe

Hey there Peffe,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand you’re experiencing some issues when using an eGPU with your Mac which is preventing you from using it as expected. We’ll be happy to help with this.

Perform an SMC and NVRAM reset on your Mac for this issue:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Then test and see if the issue returns. If it does, test it out in a new user account and see if this has any impact on this:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If it does, see if using the Automatic graphic switching feature helps with this issue:

Set graphics performance on MacBook Pro

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Jul 22, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Peffe

Hey Peffe,

Thanks for that info. If the issue continues after doing an NVRAM reset and when testing in a new user account, make sure macOS is up to date:

How to update the software on your Mac

Then try using safe mode to resolve the issue:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you still have issues, you can run an Apple Diagnostics to check for any hardware issues:

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

Regards.

Jul 22, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hey Joseph,

Thanks for your reply and help. Ive tried reseting SMC, and it seems to work, but only temporary. The issue

comes back after some time.

I will try to see if NVRAM og PRAM reset has a more permanent impact. I wonder thou, if my Macbook has some

hardware defect, it can't be necessary to do some kind of reset to make the most simple task run smooth on it

Jul 29, 2020 7:56 AM in response to chris_g1

The problem persists. Ive also tried using another/new user account, with no change. Changing to higher graphics performance

removes the annoying lag/stutter, but in my opinion this shouldn't be necessary as the cpu and integrated GPU should have no trouble handling video stream, simple internet browsing and writing in word, all tasks where the lag/stutter is noticeable.

My last resort is to make a backup and reinstall the OS, if that doesn't help I'll return the computer to the store

MBP 2019 (16") - Integrated Graphics lagging / stutter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.