Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File size of photos library not reducing after deleting photos

OS 10.15.5

Photos Version 5.0 (151.19.150)

After deleting photos from the photos library, and deleting them from the recently deleted folder within photos, the file size of the library is not getting smaller. I am trying to delete photos to gain more space on my Mac but its not working.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 3:59 AM

The Finder in macOS 10.15 does not instantly update the file size for a Photos Library. It may take more than a month before you will see a change of the size. What does the "Date Modified" show for the library in the Finder? Is it older than the time you last used Photos? My library is showing "Last modified February 15, 2020", even if I have been importing photos to it every day.

If you deleted the photos in Photos and emptied the Recently Deleted album, and the status bar below "All Photos" is showing a smaller number of photos and videos than before, the library will be smaller than before. Look at the size shown in the Info for "All Photos". This size should have decreased by now. To see the Info select "All Photos" in the sidebar in Photos and enter the key combination ⌘I .

There is one exception. If you are using iCloud Photos and "Optimise Storage" you do not have much control over the size of the local copy of your Photos Library. Photos will download photos from iCloud, whenever you need to access a photo and purge photos you have not used in a long time, if you need to free storage. The size of the library will change dynamically, independent of the number of photos you are deleting.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 3:59 AM in response to Australianblokefromqld

The Finder in macOS 10.15 does not instantly update the file size for a Photos Library. It may take more than a month before you will see a change of the size. What does the "Date Modified" show for the library in the Finder? Is it older than the time you last used Photos? My library is showing "Last modified February 15, 2020", even if I have been importing photos to it every day.

If you deleted the photos in Photos and emptied the Recently Deleted album, and the status bar below "All Photos" is showing a smaller number of photos and videos than before, the library will be smaller than before. Look at the size shown in the Info for "All Photos". This size should have decreased by now. To see the Info select "All Photos" in the sidebar in Photos and enter the key combination ⌘I .

There is one exception. If you are using iCloud Photos and "Optimise Storage" you do not have much control over the size of the local copy of your Photos Library. Photos will download photos from iCloud, whenever you need to access a photo and purge photos you have not used in a long time, if you need to free storage. The size of the library will change dynamically, independent of the number of photos you are deleting.

Jul 14, 2020 3:16 AM in response to léonie

Thankyou Leonie, everything you have said is true. While the size of the photos library does not appear to change in finder, the number of photos does change when deleting them out of "photos"

If I had just clicked get info on my hard drive I would have seen the available size changing as the photos get deleted.

I will maintain that it is un-nerving and a bit confusing that the "photos library" size does not "appear" to change in size when right clicking it and selecting get info. Now I know I'll be fine. Just one of those things I guess.

File size of photos library not reducing after deleting photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.