Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2017 keeps randomly shutting down

My MacBook Air 2017 keeps randomly shutting down.

I have completed an SMC reset (versions A and B) and this has not resolved my problem.

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:37 AM

I called Apple Helpline:

I reset the NVRAM by holding down Option - Command R and P keys for 20 seconds after pressing the power button.

Then I shut down and ran diagnostics by pressing the power switch and holding down the D key.

A language selection comes up.

Select your preferred language and the diagnostics will run automatically and give you a report.

Mine didn't show anything amiss - no errors.

I then shutdown the MacBook Air again and restarted in Safe mode (press power key and hold down the shift key until the Apple logo appears).

Then log in as normal.

If the issue still persists in Safe Mode the OS will need to be reinstalled.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 1:37 AM in response to kaymck224

I called Apple Helpline:

I reset the NVRAM by holding down Option - Command R and P keys for 20 seconds after pressing the power button.

Then I shut down and ran diagnostics by pressing the power switch and holding down the D key.

A language selection comes up.

Select your preferred language and the diagnostics will run automatically and give you a report.

Mine didn't show anything amiss - no errors.

I then shutdown the MacBook Air again and restarted in Safe mode (press power key and hold down the shift key until the Apple logo appears).

Then log in as normal.

If the issue still persists in Safe Mode the OS will need to be reinstalled.

MacBook Air 2017 keeps randomly shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.