Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i transfer all pdf files from ibooks in one step to pc that I generated with iBooks from Safari pdf prints?

Please refer to https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62434692/iphone-move-all-pdfs-generated-from-safari-page-prints-which-i-frequently-pdf

I often save mobile Safari pages as ibooks which are then automatically saved (very quickly and well-formatted) as pdfs. On a website opened in Safari, you can choose the "send to"- button and then the orange Symbol for books. I have houndreds of self-generated pdfs in ibooks, and I have googled for a longer time how to transfer them to my pc.

I have tried several 3rd party programs to transfer the pdfs, but none of them find the Safari pdf prints, they only find just the commercial e-books.

iTunes does not find them either of course.

Is there any trick to move the pdfs in ibooks to the pc with code or with a program? I do not want to save every single pdf in iCloud Drive or Adobe Acrobat nor send it by mail, and afterwards delete the file in ibooks, this costs too much time and nerves.

For more details, see the link above. Please mind that https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6422666 does not solve my question, both solutions (iTunes and iTools) do not work with iBooks' pdfs from Safari to iBooks exports.

Thank you.

iPhone 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 8:48 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2020 2:05 AM in response to lorenzznerol

I also wonder why the export button is inactive as soon as you use Books > Library [> specific Collection] > Edit > "Select All" on the left or multi-select manually. It would be good to have the export button active for multiple file selections so that you can use "Save to Files" to iCloud Drive or Acrobat or thelike for multiple files or all files in one go. Thank you.

Jul 5, 2020 7:37 AM in response to turingtest2

I have sent feedback to the link https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html that you gave me in the other thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251544674?login=true, thank you again @turingtest2.

In my opinion, there is hope that this small feature request is heard in the end, because it is absolutely astonishing for the common user that a built-in feature is missing so that you need a 3rd party tool to do what every common user would expect from Apple themelves.

Jul 4, 2020 11:25 AM in response to lorenzznerol

Hi,

I seem to recall the behaviour with PDFs added to an iDevice might have been different back before iTunes 12.7 when iTunes for Windows had some iBooks management features. Back then I think iTunes used to be able to import PDFs that were added to the phone, but that could be a faulty memory. Right now it looks like your best bet is, as you say, to export to iCloud Drive, or other location within the Files app, if you want access to the same files from multiple locations and to be able to archive them on your computer. Again, it would be nice if export features could work with a selection, but it seems that isn't supported. I cannot think of a scripting workaround to help out here as these collections aren't exposed to the script interface when your device is connected to iTunes. It is however possible you might find a tool called iFunbox useful for extracting files from the device, although you might have to sift through meaningless file names.

FWIW the current version of iTunes for Windows treats imported PDF files as Podcasts. Any iBooks in your iTunes for Windows Media folder will be ignored by the library, but could still be added to a device via drag and drop.

tt2

Jul 4, 2020 12:19 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

thank you, the iFunbox does not seem to work, V3.0 it is from 09/20/2016, the iFunbox Classic is from 02/10/2015. I have a 32bit laptop, that is why it could work in 64bit mode (both are offered in iFunbox Classic, while there is no choice in iFunbox V3.0).

I cannot use iFunbox for now, thus the only program I know that can solve the issue is Decipher Backup Browser - I have already solved the issue with it. Still I do not understand why a 3rd party tool is the only program in the world that can solve the issue, that is too weird if that is true? It could be because that Decipher company was aware of the issue earlier before, they might really be the only ones who have added the PDFs that come from Safari-to-iBooks exports to the backup extraction process? But I cannot really believe it, because that would mean that I - accidentally - have found the only available solution at all in a small 3rd party program that is not even well-known… Weird what Apple is doing here, I do not understand how this should keep users enthusistic about iPhones, iTunes and iOS.

There is also no one on https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62434692/iphone-move-all-pdfs-generated-from-safari-page-prints-which-i-frequently-pdf that has any other answer than to use Decipher. Incredible that small users like me have to sort of invent the wheel again / win a lottery price in finding the right software to do something that everone out of 100 persons would expect to be offered - built-in and automatically implemented - by iBooks.

Jul 4, 2020 12:36 PM in response to lorenzznerol

Apple have designed iTunes primarily to get music onto their devices, not the other way around. This one directional syncing approach is, I believe, partly how Apple engaged content providers back in the day as it meant that iPods weren't going to be used for casual music sharing. While DRM for music fell by the wayside due to alternatives I don't foresee this aspect of the Apple ecosystem changing, so third party tools are where it is at.

tt2

How do i transfer all pdf files from ibooks in one step to pc that I generated with iBooks from Safari pdf prints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.