Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install older versions of an app: macOS Catalina

Hey,

Can I install an older version of an app on macOS Catalina? It's not a problem of compatibility, but I like the old version of the app way better than the new version. Is there a way to get the previous version?

Thanks

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 1:52 PM

If it is an Apple app, then an older version will not run on a newer OS since Apple wants you to have the latest version. But, if you have a complete backup of your prior OS version, you can erase your drive and reinstall the oldeer version from your backup and then run the older app (which is kind of silly to do all of that because of one app).

I'd think a better idea is to get used to the newer app.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 1:52 PM in response to WolfFriederichs

If it is an Apple app, then an older version will not run on a newer OS since Apple wants you to have the latest version. But, if you have a complete backup of your prior OS version, you can erase your drive and reinstall the oldeer version from your backup and then run the older app (which is kind of silly to do all of that because of one app).

I'd think a better idea is to get used to the newer app.

Jul 1, 2020 12:44 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

I tried to download as an example an older version of macOS Server on an iMac late 2011, copied the program to a usb drive and opened it then on my MacBook Air running macOS Catalina. It gave me a message that the version on the app is no longer supported on this version of macOS. The app is definitely a 64-bit application, I checked (and inserted an image of that below).

Is there a way to get around that? Or even an easier way to download an older version of the app? I hope this wasn't the best way to do it, cause it was certainly not convenient.

Jul 1, 2020 12:06 PM in response to WolfFriederichs

So basically you need to locate the version of the application that you want and then make sure it's compatible with 10.15 Catalina.

If you give me an example of the application, you want I might be able to check it for you.

Your most significant issue is this: Catalina requires applications to be 16-bit. 32-bit applications won't run on Catalina. And most older applications are 32-bit.

Install older versions of an app: macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.