Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wet phone xr ..

Hi there my iphone xr got wet in rain and my camera and flash light not working and i can see that water stain in my screen showing silver color some of screen not in full screen please help me out how can i get rid out of this?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 10:36 AM

17 replies

Jul 1, 2020 1:08 PM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

Pete-Progressive-Graphics wrote:

Well it worked for me when my son decided to dive in our pool with an iPhone in his pocket. I would say it doesn't hurt to try something when the phone is about to be garbage dump bound.

The rice did absolutely nothing. The time you left it alone did much more. That and luck.

No one was "disrespectful" toward you.

Countering misstatements and false information with facts is not being "disrespectful".

Jul 1, 2020 12:43 PM in response to KiltedTim

Well it worked for me when my son decided to dive in our pool with an iPhone in his pocket. I would say it doesn't hurt to try something when the phone is about to be garbage dump bound.

If you have never tried something, you do not have to be disrespectful about comments made in forums.

I linked to an image to show what the person may want to do and how it should look when placed in a bag.

I am disappointed to see how disrespectful deggie and KiltedTim are to users of this question and other posts I have seen, maybe try seeing bullet point 1. in this link https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208863

Be safe everyone and be respectful, please.

Jul 1, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Shree-nirmal

Turn the phone off and put in in a zip lock bag of dry, uncooked rice. Seal the bag.

Leave it 24 Hrs without opening the bag. The rice will absorb some of the water, hopefully drying it out/

Try turning the phone back on only after 24 hours at least.

https://images.app.goo.gl/GNRywczrDgcrtjFo9

If this doesn't work, new phone it is and 1 with a warranty.

Good luck

Jul 1, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Shree-nirmal

Skip the buying a new iPhone unless you really want to update, and skip the baggie of rice, your iPhone is far beyond that and it wouldn't dry in anywhere near 24 hours, it would take 4 - 5 days. You might shorten that with new silica gel packets by 24 hours.

If you want to do an out-of-warranty replacement (I am assuming you didn't buy AppleCare +) click on the Contact Support link at the top right of this page to start the service process and they can advise you of the price.

Jul 1, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

I linked to an image to show what the person may want to do and how it should look when placed in a bag.

Also see : False Hope. Urban Myth. Placebo.

I have worked in the phone repair industry. It may work for small amounts of moisture. I have seen rice guck lave considerably more damage than water. If and when water evaporates, it's gone. If no electronic damage is left behind, you win. When the rice guck evaporates, you're left with rice residue.

A wet phone is not to be trusted. As we make out phones mission critical, it is a risk. I don't think this is debatable.

That perspective needs to be shared.

Jul 1, 2020 1:17 PM in response to deggie

All you guys have expansive knowledge in this field it's clear and I am not as experienced as you are.

I think you are all obviously valuable members of the Apple Community and you can help many folk who are unable to get in touch with Apple Support right now, and it's not possible for these folk to visit their local Apple Store and get their issues fixed.

You can still treat people with respect and grace.

We all have to get by together right now, be a community. Please don't try and belittle someone because they don't have the knowledge you possess, teach them and maybe they can help someone else in return.

I may not have been a member of this forum for long but I've been an Apple user for nearly 30 years and I will try and help anyone that I can with the knowledge and experience I have. I hope you all can do the same.

Jul 1, 2020 1:28 PM in response to Pete-Progressive-Graphics

You can still treat people with respect and grace.

Grace is a variable and open to interpretation. Short, curt answers stating facts and truths often appear to lack empathy.

This is a technical support community and you will find the answers to questions reflect just that. Not a defense. An explanation.

Those looking for a hug and a "there, there now" are likely to be disappointed.

Wet phone xr ..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.