Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do i need to allow my macbook pro to run my imac as a second monitor

I have a Macbook Pro 2020 model I want to use my imac 21.5 inch 2017 as a second monitor what cable(s) connectors do I need to solve this? I was advised by an Apple technician a thunderbolt 3 cable would suffice however it does not, unless I need some other sort of connector. Please can someone help

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 11:32 AM

Only iMacs up to 2014 models can support Target Display Mode. Your model does not support TDM so it cannot be used as an external monitor for your MBP. See Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support.

8 replies

Jul 1, 2020 12:48 PM in response to simonzero

AirParrot and similar applications are used to stream data from one device to another via Wi-Fi or BlueTooth, neither of which is fast enough to act as a mirrored display as you want to do. There are even hardware solutions that use the USB port but they, too, are slow.

Your best solution is to get an external monitor or just use your iMac when working at home.

what do i need to allow my macbook pro to run my imac as a second monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.