Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to use a time capsule for backup if I also have iCloud backup

Do I need to use a Time Capsule for backup if I also have iCloud backup?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 2:37 PM

iCloud will not backup the system files on your Mac.

If you get into trouble things will be missing.

So it is certainly worthwhile having a backup.

If you have all your user files being backed up in iCloud there is no need to use a continuous backup.

For iMac I would just buy a USB drive of suitable size and create a clone of your Mac.. software like carbon copy cloner does a great job. You can set it to backup once a day. It will normally only take a couple of minutes. To test the backup simply restart the computer holding down the option key at the chime and you can select the USB as your boot drive. Once up and running check your computer is working exactly as you expect. That is proof the backup is working perfectly. Then restart the computer again so you go back to running it from internal drive.

Time Machine can also be used as backup but there is no way to easily test the backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2020 2:37 PM in response to gopherhockey1

iCloud will not backup the system files on your Mac.

If you get into trouble things will be missing.

So it is certainly worthwhile having a backup.

If you have all your user files being backed up in iCloud there is no need to use a continuous backup.

For iMac I would just buy a USB drive of suitable size and create a clone of your Mac.. software like carbon copy cloner does a great job. You can set it to backup once a day. It will normally only take a couple of minutes. To test the backup simply restart the computer holding down the option key at the chime and you can select the USB as your boot drive. Once up and running check your computer is working exactly as you expect. That is proof the backup is working perfectly. Then restart the computer again so you go back to running it from internal drive.

Time Machine can also be used as backup but there is no way to easily test the backup.

Do I need to use a time capsule for backup if I also have iCloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.