Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn’t there a setting to disable Auto Lock anymore?

Why isn’t there a setting to disable Auto Lock anymore? I used to be able to have this set to “Never”.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 8

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 6:19 PM

Hey there, David!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. We see that the "Never" option under Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock does not appear on your iPhone. We're happy to help!

The "Never" option for Auto-Lock has not been removed from iOS, so it still should be available. If the option does not appear, it may indicate your device is managed (by an employer or academic institution, as an example).

iPhone devices that are managed may have certain features disabled, while others (such as a lock passcode) are required through the managed profile installed on the iPhone. If your device is managed, you should reach out to the IT admin handling the profile to find out if the option should appear or not: Get started with a supervised iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If you do not have a managed device, we can suggest the following troubleshooting:

1. Force close any open apps: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.
  2. Check for, and install, any available updates: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  3. Back up your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support then reinstall the iOS software using the "Reinstall iOS or iPadOS" section of: If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2020 6:19 PM in response to DavidScherer

Hey there, David!

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities. We see that the "Never" option under Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock does not appear on your iPhone. We're happy to help!

The "Never" option for Auto-Lock has not been removed from iOS, so it still should be available. If the option does not appear, it may indicate your device is managed (by an employer or academic institution, as an example).

iPhone devices that are managed may have certain features disabled, while others (such as a lock passcode) are required through the managed profile installed on the iPhone. If your device is managed, you should reach out to the IT admin handling the profile to find out if the option should appear or not: Get started with a supervised iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

If you do not have a managed device, we can suggest the following troubleshooting:

1. Force close any open apps: How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support and restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support.
  2. Check for, and install, any available updates: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.
  3. Back up your iPhone: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support then reinstall the iOS software using the "Reinstall iOS or iPadOS" section of: If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Cheers.

Jul 6, 2020 6:51 PM in response to sterling r

I ended up figuring out why this happened. About a few weeks ago, I ended up logging into my work email on my phone (which is a personal device). I didn’t realize that when doing so, it caused this to happen. I ended up logging into a Microsoft exchange account which gave me access to my work email on my phone, and this must have messed with some settings on my device even though it is a personal iPhone. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Why isn’t there a setting to disable Auto Lock anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.