Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple store app won’t update?

I keep getting this

And I can’t seem to fix it.

device is older iPad mini, was my wife’s now it mine!

iPad mini has worked for years for me with no problems,......

Help needed thanks

iPad mini 3, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 1, 2020 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 7:50 AM

You will need to delete the Apple Store App, restart your iPad - then reinstall the Apple Store App.

The previous user of the iPad evidently downloaded the App using their own AppleID. If the previous user subsequently signed-out of iCloud and other Apple services prior to passing the iPad over to you, any Apps download and installed by the previous AppleID account cannot be updated. These Apps must be removed and reinstalled under your ID.

In addition to issues with App updates, you’ll likely have some other surprises waiting for you - such as a latent Activation Lock. A future reset of your iPad, should it be necessary, may leave you locked out of the iPad.

This is the procedure that the previous owner should have followed before giving the iPad to you:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

This procedure, if followed, properly prepares the iPad for a new user. All services are correctly signed-out, personal data erased and the Activation Lock disabled.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Noairbags

You will need to delete the Apple Store App, restart your iPad - then reinstall the Apple Store App.

The previous user of the iPad evidently downloaded the App using their own AppleID. If the previous user subsequently signed-out of iCloud and other Apple services prior to passing the iPad over to you, any Apps download and installed by the previous AppleID account cannot be updated. These Apps must be removed and reinstalled under your ID.

In addition to issues with App updates, you’ll likely have some other surprises waiting for you - such as a latent Activation Lock. A future reset of your iPad, should it be necessary, may leave you locked out of the iPad.

This is the procedure that the previous owner should have followed before giving the iPad to you:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201351

This procedure, if followed, properly prepares the iPad for a new user. All services are correctly signed-out, personal data erased and the Activation Lock disabled.

Apple store app won’t update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.