Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to reinstall iMovie but only "update" option is available from the app store.

Hi! I had a power cut yesterday and when I restarted my Mac, iMovie wouldn't reopen and I got a prompt saying I'd need to uninstall and reinstall it from the app store. I uninstalled it using the delete app button from the launchpad icon, however iMovie in the app store now only has the option to update and not a full reinstall. When I click to update, nothing happens apart from a grey pinwheel top/left of the app store, which disappears after about 30 minutes. I do have an earlier version of iMovie (9.0.9) on my mac which I guess was not removed by subsequent updates. Anyway my question is how can I get the app store to allow a fresh download and reinstall of the current iMovie, without risk of deleting my imovie library?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 7:30 AM

First, check your Applications folder to make sure that iMovie is actually deleted. If the iMovie icon is still there, drag it to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then follow this procedure: Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there.

The iMovie library is separate from the iMovie app, so deleting the iMovie app will not delete the library. When you redownload iMovie it will open in a new blank library. You old library will still be in the Movies folder where you can reopen it.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 7:30 AM in response to bobodada

First, check your Applications folder to make sure that iMovie is actually deleted. If the iMovie icon is still there, drag it to the trash, but don't empty the trash. Then follow this procedure: Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there.

The iMovie library is separate from the iMovie app, so deleting the iMovie app will not delete the library. When you redownload iMovie it will open in a new blank library. You old library will still be in the Movies folder where you can reopen it.

-- Rich

Need to reinstall iMovie but only "update" option is available from the app store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.