Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.5.1 - Mail App will not launch contacts on composing new message

Brand new iPhone SE 2020. Upgraded to 13.5.1. Upon composing new messge within Mail, if I insert the first letter of the intended recipient's name, nothing happens. A list should appear with contacts sharing the designated letter. The only time Mail App works is when I send a test email to myself.

The Messages App works fine.

I have tried a hard restart but the issue remains. I cannot be the only iPhone SE user running 13.5.1 that has this problem surely. I am led to believe 13.5.1 still has issues, is this one of them?

Thank you. Frustrated.

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 11:12 PM

I am pleased to say this issue has now been resolved. I woke up this morning with the intention of deleting the whole Contacts App but I edited the App by deleting an entry and then reinserting the contact. The Mail App now works fine. I am a happy bunny. Thank you all who have taken the time to read the posting.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 11:12 PM in response to kb109

I am pleased to say this issue has now been resolved. I woke up this morning with the intention of deleting the whole Contacts App but I edited the App by deleting an entry and then reinserting the contact. The Mail App now works fine. I am a happy bunny. Thank you all who have taken the time to read the posting.

Jul 2, 2020 11:19 AM in response to kb109

Perhaps I should add that the iPhone SE is for my wife. I have an iPhone XS which is also running 13.5.1 without any problem which makes me wonder whether the answer lies in the SE's settings. I have checked the SE's settings to ensure they follow the XS and they appear to do so. It is only my wife's contact details the Mail App recognises in the new SE which is in her own name. I have even now resorted to a full restore on the SE but the issue remains. I cannot understand why the Mail App on the XS works fine but not on the new SE. I am hoping there is someone out there in the community who is far more learned than I am on these matters. Thank you.

iOS 13.5.1 - Mail App will not launch contacts on composing new message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.