Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac mini 2018 cannot boot to startup manager

trying to boot into startup manager for booting from other disks via usb and thunderbolt using new mac mini 2018 running Catalina. If I hold the alt | Option key as stated the mac never boots up, stays on black screen. Booting to recovery mode works fine with cmd-R but option key just halts boot even releasing the key boot wont continue unless I hit the return key several times but then just boots into normal mode finally once I do that. I have a USB keyboard plugged in to bypass blutooth keyboard issues at bootup, moshi for apple and have disabled secure boot and all that in T2 chip as required. WHy does option key halt booting ?? screen stays blank can see no messages until apple logo appears with thunderbolt monitor.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 11:07 AM

Actually I just got it working. I thought about the usb keyboard being in the Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 docking station and moved directly into the mac-mini usb port. But... going into settings->keyboard and changing the repeat frequency when holding a key down to "Off" allowed it to boot into startup-manager the first time. No issues, ESXi usb drive seen immediately without doing option rom keyboard cmd for downloading of ROM each time.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 11:07 AM in response to dgenton

Actually I just got it working. I thought about the usb keyboard being in the Caldigit Thunderbolt 3 docking station and moved directly into the mac-mini usb port. But... going into settings->keyboard and changing the repeat frequency when holding a key down to "Off" allowed it to boot into startup-manager the first time. No issues, ESXi usb drive seen immediately without doing option rom keyboard cmd for downloading of ROM each time.

mac mini 2018 cannot boot to startup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.