Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro second adapter issuing DHCP ?

Here is the setup

The second adapter on my Mac Pro 3.1 with El Cap, is connected via a straight ( or crossover) cable direct to a NAS box. XigmaNAS 12.

Mac second adapter set to Manual. 192.168.2.1

jumbo 9000 MTU

The NAS, used to be set to Static 192.268.2.2

Then I noticed that the NAS adapter configuration had MTU setting, so I manually set that to 9000 too, to see if I could improve connection speed.

From that point, the static IP address on the NAS would ‘disappear ’ and the NAS only now connects to the Mac if it is set to obtain address via DHCP.

transfer speeds now dropped to 8-9mb/Sec. Even restoring to old settings does not return to old way of how if worked Hmmmm confused

No one on the NAS forum thinks this is NAS related, asking if the Mac is acting as DHCP server.

so does any one know if the Mac acts as DHCP server when another machine plugged directly in to it ? Even when it is set to static ?

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 8:47 AM

The Mac only acts as DHCP server when you are using "Internet Sharing' from the sharing control panel. You should have that feature OFF -- you are not Internet Sharing, you are merely using the second Ethernet port on your Mac Pro for additional devices, not sharing.

--------

But you may have a different "issue". Each Octet in an IPv4 IP Address can vary from 0 to 255, max. You wrote that you set one to 268, which is invalid. also, addresses outside of 192.168.xxx.yyy are Routable, so they will want to be talking to a Router.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 8:47 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

The Mac only acts as DHCP server when you are using "Internet Sharing' from the sharing control panel. You should have that feature OFF -- you are not Internet Sharing, you are merely using the second Ethernet port on your Mac Pro for additional devices, not sharing.

--------

But you may have a different "issue". Each Octet in an IPv4 IP Address can vary from 0 to 255, max. You wrote that you set one to 268, which is invalid. also, addresses outside of 192.168.xxx.yyy are Routable, so they will want to be talking to a Router.

Jul 3, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ah typo..yes 168 not 268..it is set correctly on the box

Internet Sharin g..yes that was it..

Thanks

Yes want internet sharing on for that ..so that is it..

At least I think i want internet sharing on ..for that adapter..for the NAS box to do a time check and receive updates etc..

Thanks. turned it off now ..

can do without the time updates

Mac Pro second adapter issuing DHCP ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.