Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect a Time Capsule on iPadOS

How do i connect an apple time capsule (3tb with airport extreme) to my ipad in the files app as a server, if it is even possible?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 3:24 PM

iPadOS can access network drives that use the SMB file sharing protocol. The Time Capsule can be accessed by either the AFS or SMB (v1.0 only) protocols. I just tried this with my iPad Pro and it resulted in a "Operation not supported" error message. I believe this is because the connection attempt is with the newer (either 2.x or 3.x) version of SMB and the TC can only understand SMB 1.0.

I would second Bob's suggestion to try FileBrowser. Interestingly, you can "add" FileBrowser as a location type in the Files app ... and then, access the TC that way.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 3:24 PM in response to floflaflo

iPadOS can access network drives that use the SMB file sharing protocol. The Time Capsule can be accessed by either the AFS or SMB (v1.0 only) protocols. I just tried this with my iPad Pro and it resulted in a "Operation not supported" error message. I believe this is because the connection attempt is with the newer (either 2.x or 3.x) version of SMB and the TC can only understand SMB 1.0.

I would second Bob's suggestion to try FileBrowser. Interestingly, you can "add" FileBrowser as a location type in the Files app ... and then, access the TC that way.

Connect a Time Capsule on iPadOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.