Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The sound output has stopped working on my MacBook Air

Looking for suggestions about what to do about the sound output on my MacBook Air.

Everything is up to do. The problem started with lapses (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't)-first I noticed this with YouTube, next occasionally on Zoom. Now it never works. In systems preferences, it appears to be working when I talk and the sound input moves around.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2020 4:24 PM

Hello Jen,

You can try a few basic troubleshooting techniques and see whether that solves the issue:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the Sound issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2020 4:24 PM in response to jenhead

Hello Jen,

You can try a few basic troubleshooting techniques and see whether that solves the issue:

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM. If that does not solve things then-
  3. Enter ➔ Safe Mode and see if the Sound issue still exists in Safe mode. Log out of Safe Mode and then reboot computer.

Axel F.

The sound output has stopped working on my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.