Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password required for Face ID to work glitch?

This has been happening since day one, but I’ve been noticing it more now, I use an iPhone 10R. After not touching the phone for some time (2 mins - 10 hours), I have to unlock my phone with my password. I’ve read some other threads saying that it’s some interference, but this happens when my phone is laying on my desk. Since day one this has been happening, I’m very careful with my phone so there isn’t a way I’ve caused the damage. Is it iOS being secure? Hardware fault? Malware?

Thanks in advance

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2020 6:09 PM

Please see page 13 for when and why a passcode or password input is triggered:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

With recent iOS and iPadOS releases, Face ID will present the passcode or password prompt more quickly. This for the many folks that are necessarily now wearing facemasks.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2020 6:09 PM in response to Jager09

Please see page 13 for when and why a passcode or password input is triggered:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1902/en_US/apple-platform-security-guide.pdf

With recent iOS and iPadOS releases, Face ID will present the passcode or password prompt more quickly. This for the many folks that are necessarily now wearing facemasks.

Jul 5, 2020 6:38 PM in response to Chahineata

That’s possible, but it would require the iPhone or iPad to be crashIng.

A crash and restart would show the password or passcode prompt, yes.

An iPhone or iPad won’t allow Face ID until after the passcode or password is correctly entered.

For a discussion of that, see this thread:

When I turn on my iPhone SE 2020, it does… - Apple Community

Password required for Face ID to work glitch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.