Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when downloading pdf or doc files, the system adds a .html extension.

When I download .pdf files from sites (one is my own biz site), when the file downloads into the download folder, the system automatically adds a .html to the extension. Which means i end up with a file name and pdf.html. of course it is not readable, and i have to go into the download folder, delete the added extension, and generally it will open. it sometimes does it to .doc files, so that i end up with .doc.html. any ideas on how to change this? I has occurred since my upgrade to snow leopard. i have 10.6.4. help if possible!

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2010 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2010 9:45 AM

From the link I gave you:

Solution
If the filename extension added by Safari is not accurate, delete the extension from the file name and the file should open in the correct application. If it does not, use Get Info in the Finder to force the file to open with a certain application, such as described here.

Additional information
Safari might add these extensions based on information received from the website about the file type. If file type sent by the server does not match the extension, Safari may append an extension to ensure the file is recognized by the Finder.

The fault is at 'their' end!
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2010 9:45 AM in response to peacevision

From the link I gave you:

Solution
If the filename extension added by Safari is not accurate, delete the extension from the file name and the file should open in the correct application. If it does not, use Get Info in the Finder to force the file to open with a certain application, such as described here.

Additional information
Safari might add these extensions based on information received from the website about the file type. If file type sent by the server does not match the extension, Safari may append an extension to ensure the file is recognized by the Finder.

The fault is at 'their' end!

Jul 21, 2010 4:08 PM in response to peacevision

HI,

Try this...

Open a Finder window. Select your Home Folder in the Sidebar on the left. Now on the right open the Library folder, then the Safari folder. Move this file to the Trash.

Downloads.plist

Relaunch Safari and try again.

If that didn't help, go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab. Quit Safari. Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari and see if that makes a difference. If not, move the .plist file back to the Preferences folder. If Safari functions as it should, move that .plist file to the Trash.

Carolyn 🙂

Jul 21, 2010 4:08 PM in response to peacevision

It sometimes happens when images are dragged to the desktop.

If you control-click and choose 'save image to' or 'save image as' it shouldn't happen.

But this is nothing new!

Safari: Downloaded file's filename may have an additional extension

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24293

That's from June 11, 2007!

Working from my defective memory, this happened to me, but stopped if I unchecked 'Open safe files after downloading' in Safari Preferences/General.

At least I think that's how I stopped it - it hasn't happened since!

Jul 23, 2010 9:40 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

well, tried all of that Carolyn. thank you. however, still downloads pdfs/docs with the .html extension. not sure where to go from here. and as someone indicated it was a challenge since 2007, i am wondering if there is a solution. i have used this macbook for a couple of years and never had the prob until i upgraded to snow leopard and whatever update to safari came along. started about then, as i recall. weird. any other ideas?

when downloading pdf or doc files, the system adds a .html extension.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.