Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot share files between a new Mac and older ones

I have a new iMac running Catalina that I can connect to for screen sharing, but it won't share any files in the normal way. The only folder it will show me when I connect to it from any other Mac is an external USB disk, that is shown as 'Sharepoint'. But I see nothing in that. It won't even show me my own Shared Folder. It is clearly properly networked and connected, as screen sharing works perfectly. But that is the only option I am offered when I connect to it, despite having enabled File Sharing. I've checked all the Sharing settings on the new machine. It is very puzzling.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2020 8:47 PM

Screen Sharing is irrelevant, It is a completely different protocol on a different port.

Again, you cannot share the APFS drive over AFP. You can't try this and try that. Only SMB will work to share APFS drives.

If your external drive is HFS+, then you can share it over AFP, but I don't know why you'd even turn it on when the iMac must be shared over SMB.

Your screen shot shows you are sharing the iMac over AFP. Again, that won't work, ever. Stop trying. Turn off AFP altogether and just use SMB. That will at least eliminate a variable from the troubleshooting.

I thought you were trying to share an external drive. I don't see anything in your screen shot that would indicate you are sharing it out.

Are you logging into the iMac using the David2021 account?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2020 8:47 PM in response to darditti

Screen Sharing is irrelevant, It is a completely different protocol on a different port.

Again, you cannot share the APFS drive over AFP. You can't try this and try that. Only SMB will work to share APFS drives.

If your external drive is HFS+, then you can share it over AFP, but I don't know why you'd even turn it on when the iMac must be shared over SMB.

Your screen shot shows you are sharing the iMac over AFP. Again, that won't work, ever. Stop trying. Turn off AFP altogether and just use SMB. That will at least eliminate a variable from the troubleshooting.

I thought you were trying to share an external drive. I don't see anything in your screen shot that would indicate you are sharing it out.

Are you logging into the iMac using the David2021 account?

Jul 6, 2020 6:47 PM in response to Barney-15E

I've tried both SMB and AFP. Also addressing the computer as the 'local' name, or the afp number. The other Mac is clearly accessing it, as 'share screen' works, but at the same time I get a 'connection failed' or 'not connected' message, and the 'connect as' button does nothing. This is how the settings on the new Mac look.

Cannot share files between a new Mac and older ones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.