Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to reset our old ipad but need to unlock the activation link but we cant remember our apple id or password for the unlock. Is there a way to get around that?

I need to reset an old Ipad but it's locked due to the activation lock. We need the Apple ID and passward but we have no idea what the original one was. How can we get around needing it or finding out what it was?

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 12:14 PM

2 replies

Jul 8, 2020 3:23 AM in response to CandaceFish37

If this iPad is a really old iPad, like 8 to 9-years old, I wouldn't even bother with it, now!

These 8 and 9-year old iPads are too old, you will NOT be able to get ANY popular third party apps for that old an iPad, from the iOS App Store, any longer AND these 8 and 9-year old iPads will be fully and completely obsolete by the end of 2020!

Here's why.

Tap and read my link below for my additional info about your iPad model.

"Sudden App Death” for Completely Res… - Apple Community

If you own OLD 8 and 9 Year Old iPad mo… - Apple Community

Time for a new, refurbished or much MUCH “newer” ( read used ) iPad.

Sorry, but this is what you will need to do, now.

You will need to purchase an iPad that can run the latest and greatest versions of iOS, as well as, the most current apps available, from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/ipad

OR a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

If you must purchased used devices from unknown sources, you must ask A WHOLE LOT more questions of the iOS device seller, ask for more photo/images, ask if the iPad has user/iCloud activation lock and ask for photos/images/short video proof that such an iPad has been reset factory settings and shown proof of the iOS device's start up screen showing the animated, moving, multi-language “Hello” Welcome to iPad screen.

If the iOS device seller is unwilling to do all of this to show you that the iPad, in question, is ready to use with no barriers to new user activation and use, pass on the iOS device and look at other iOS device sellers elsewhere.

Sorry & Best of Luck to You!

I would like to reset our old ipad but need to unlock the activation link but we cant remember our apple id or password for the unlock. Is there a way to get around that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.