Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe CS6 on newer MacOS?

I'm currently on a 2008 Mac Pro running the most recent OS it will use (El Capitan), and I use the Adobe suite for most of my work. I use Adobe CS6 as it's the last version before they adopted the extremely expensive subscription model for Creative Cloud.

As I understand it, if I buy a newer Mac as a replacement, Adobe CS6 no longer functions on Mac OS beyond Catalina, since it won't support 32-bit applications. So all Macs after 2019 will only run Adobe applications as a subscription.

Am I understanding this right? Would running Mojave on a new Mac work, if I never upgrade it? Or is there a way to run perfectly-good legitimately-purchased versions of Photoshop and Illustrator on new Macs?

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 1:04 AM

Photoshop CS6 works for me in macOS 10.6-10.14. I haven't yet updated past Mojave but I guess I must do that in a few years. Photoshop CS6 works OK in light use in Catalina virtualized in VMware Fusion maybe best in old systems like OSX 10.6 server or 10.11 (in 10.14 there are some GUI artifacts because there are no accelerated graphics drivers).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 1:04 AM in response to Jay Nungesser

Photoshop CS6 works for me in macOS 10.6-10.14. I haven't yet updated past Mojave but I guess I must do that in a few years. Photoshop CS6 works OK in light use in Catalina virtualized in VMware Fusion maybe best in old systems like OSX 10.6 server or 10.11 (in 10.14 there are some GUI artifacts because there are no accelerated graphics drivers).

Jul 7, 2020 10:47 PM in response to Jay Nungesser

If you buy a new mac which comes preinstalled with macOS Catalina you cannot downgrade the OS to Mojave, High Sierra or Sierra.

You would need to buy a used mac that is capable of installing any OS up to macOS Mojave.

You will also need to determine which of the apps contained in the Adobe CS6 suite will work with the OS your used mac is running.

Use this, https://roaringapps.com/apps to give you an idea if certain parts of the Adobe CS6 suite will work with a newer OS.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS6 on my mac running Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave, and there are certain things that do not work,

very small things that do not matter to me, but you should ask for more information in Adobe forums/ discussion groups.

As you are on a MacPro 2008, the greatest of the silver towers, you should perhaps do some digging elsewhere to find

out how to upgrade the OS from El Capitan.

Adobe CS6 on newer MacOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.