Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used iPad has the old owners Apple ID

Bought a used iPad and it has the old owners Apple ID, have no way to contact owner

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 10:29 AM

Here is information about Activation Lock and the procedures to unlock your iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201441

Unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the previous owner, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist.

Sorry, not the news that you were likely hoping for, but your acquired iPad is of no use to you.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 10:29 AM in response to SMURF2020

Here is information about Activation Lock and the procedures to unlock your iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201441

Unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, or unless you can secure the cooperation of the previous owner, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. Without documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple won’t assist.

Sorry, not the news that you were likely hoping for, but your acquired iPad is of no use to you.

Jul 8, 2020 10:18 AM in response to SMURF2020

Hello,

The iPad is locked with Activation Lock. There is no way around unlocking Activation Lock without inserting the device’s associated Apple ID. Since it sounds like you are unable to contact the previous owner and since you are not the original owner of this iPad then there is nothing you, or Apple, can do to unlock this iPad. Your only option is to recycle the iPad.

Activation Lock

Apple Trade In - Apple

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone - Apple Support

Jul 8, 2020 11:30 AM in response to SMURF2020

You bought a dead, useless device.

If you can, attempt to return this Pad and get your money back!

You cannot defeat Activation Lock.

No one here can help you. Apple WILL NOT help you.

If you can't return this iPad and get your money back, please recycle this device responsibly.

Next time, if you need an iPad, then you need to purchase a new iPad from Apple or a discounted, refurbished iPad from Apple’s Refurbished & Clearance section of Apple’s Website or a new or refurbished iPad from an Apple authorised, third party retail or online reseller OR other trusted sources for new or used Apple products.

IF you must purchased used devices from unknown and untrusted sources, you must ask A WHOLE LOT more questions of the iOS device seller, ask for more photo/images, ask if the iPad has user/iCloud activation lock and ask for photos/images/short video proof that such an iPad has been reset factory settings and shown proof of the iOS device's start up screen showing the animated, moving, multi-language “Hello” Welcome to iPad screen.

If the iOS device seller is unwilling to do all of this to show you that the iPad, in question, is ready to use with no barriers to new user activation and use, pass on the iOS device and look at other iOS device sellers elsewhere.

Sorry & Good Luck to You!

Jul 8, 2020 4:39 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I got my second iPad Pro used though eBay, but I asked a SLEW of pointed questions and ask for lots of photos and photos or short video of the active, animated Welcome screen that the seller went out of his way to do for me before I decided to pull the trigger on a buy/purchase.

Got a 2016 12.9 inch screen iPad Pro 256 GBs WiFi AND cellular data model for under $500 U.S.D..

The eBay seller took great care of this iPad and looks and works like a brand new iPad!

No dents, no scratches anywhere, no issues.

I didn't get the original box with this though, but the seller really packed the device well in layer upon layer of bubble wrap.

I was very impressed with how well packed this iPad came to me!

I have had this iPad Pro since the beginning of April!

Even came with a perfectly good working version of iPadOS 13 which I have left as is ( currently running iPadOS 13.2.3 ).

No touchscreen issues, no battery drain issues, no lag issues, NO runaway processes issues.

A good working iPad for a very good price!

Very happy with my eBay used iPad purchase.

If you know what to ask about with regards to Apple mobile devices and ask all sorts of questions and ask for lots of photos/images, screen images/video and the seller works with you, your chances of getting scammed are pretty low.

This eBay seller was a very legit seller and was very good and took the time to answer all my requests and supplied me with a lot of images, close up images and screen images of the iOS Welcome screen.

You just need to ask the questions and ask for additional info and see what the seller does or does not do to accommodate such requests to them.

Used iPad has the old owners Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.