Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup drive (500 GB SSD) reports disk almost full; but backup of drive is only 147GB in size

The start up drive on my iMac running OS 10.15.5 is a 500GB SSD. I get messages stating that the drive is almost full. If I try to copy a 60GB file to it I'm warned that there is not enough space to do the action. "Storage" and "Get Info" both report that there are 36GB of storage available on the drive. The vast majority of the drive (362GB) is shown to be occupied by "other". Get info shows that there are 435GB used on disk. I have searched in vain for large files in the "other" category that I might delete to free up space.

Interestingly, when I clone a bootable backup of the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, the backup drive is only 147GB in size. Under "Get Info", when booted from the cloned backup, only 147GB is reported used on disk.

What's going on here? Why is more than 70% of my startup drive (362GB out of 500GB) consumed by "other" and unavailable to me for access? Why does this "other" portion disappear on a cloned copy of the drive?

I'm tempted to do a fresh current backup of my startup drive and restore my SSD with the backup to see what happens. ? Good idea?

Thanks.

John

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 7:48 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jul 8, 2020 8:15 AM in response to John Baughman

One other thing: is it possible that you have another APFS volume in the same APFS container?

This would not show in the image above; but it would show in Disk Utility: below you see the normal two volumes, Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, plus a third volume. This third volume shares the available space in the container, but would not be cloned by CCC. This might explain the discrepancy.

Jul 8, 2020 8:44 AM in response to John Baughman

Well, there you have it!!!!!

Your drive is littered with snapshots.

You can delete those snapshots, but I tend to prefer thinning them.

The form of the command is this:

sudo tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 100000000000 4

Notes:

1) Since this requires sudo, you will be asked for your password. Type it (nothing will show as you type, not even bullets or asterkisks - that is normal), and press enter

2) The large number is the number of bytes you'd be trying to reclaim from the snapshots. You can use a larger or smaller number

3) The final number, 4, is the "urgency". 4 is the highest level.

Jul 8, 2020 9:24 AM in response to John Baughman

OWC's article, Working With macOS Snapshots, is a very informative article about how snapshots are created, what they do and some of the problems that can occur.

Mike Bombich also wrote a detailed post about snapshots, Leveraging Snapshots on APFS Volumes. I mention this because your Terminal screenshot shows CCC creating snapshots for you on a daily basis. If you don't want CCC doing that, you can turn it off in CCC Preferences.

It's also curious that TM has created multiple snapshots on two successive days - 13 on July 7 and 8 on July 8. That doesn't look right to me and I suggest investigating why that's happening.

Startup drive (500 GB SSD) reports disk almost full; but backup of drive is only 147GB in size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.