Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought a phone unaware it had an activation lock.

I bought a phone from a local store. I was not aware that it had an activation lock. The store will not take it back (even with the receipt) and offers no help. Is there anything I can do?

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 11:15 AM

There isn't any way to bypass activation lock without the assistance of the previous owner. The only thing I can think to suggest would be to file a small claims court claim as the phone is useless.

Also see: Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

4 replies

Jul 9, 2020 12:44 PM in response to Thrive509

Turn it over to the police. There is a very real chance the phone is stolen.

If that's the case, the owner of the store could be charged with trafficking in stolen goods.

If nothing else, you may try telling the store that if they do not give you a refund, you will get the police involved... chances are they would like to avoid the cops sniffing around their inventory for stolen goods.

Bought a phone unaware it had an activation lock.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.