Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Freezes When Connected to LG UltraFine 5K

I have a Mac Pro (Late 2013) connected via a Thunderbolt 2 cable to an Apple Thunderbolt 2 / 3 adaptor plugged in to an LG UltraFine 5K display.

This configuration has worked well for over five years. (I used to experience an occasional flicker in which the screen would go black for a couple of seconds, but I think that was linked to RF interference from a power strip that was close to the display, and it hasn’t reoccurred since I rearranged my desk to move the power strip further away.)

About a week ago, I upgraded to MacOS Catalina, and yesterday I purchased a subscription to Microsoft Word; these changes may be unrelated to my problem but I mention them because they’re the only configuration changes I made recently.

Yesterday I rebooted my computer and after it restarted the screen stayed blank. 

I tried a few different things, but none of those fixed the problem:

• unplugging the computer’s power cable and waiting a minute before reconnecting in order to reset the SMC.

• starting up with the command-option-p-r keys held down and waiting until I heard the second chime indicating that the PRAM had been zapped.

• unplugging and reseating all of the video cables.

• swapping in a different Thunderbolt cable.

• switching to different Thunderbolt ports on the Mac.

• went out and purchased a new Apple Thunderbolt 2 / 3 adaptor.

I disconnected the LG 5K display, and borrowed an older display with an HDMI cable, which worked fine — computer booted, display lit, all of my files are still there, etc — so at least superficially the computer itself is okay. When I run the System Report and click on Thunderbolt it shows all three busses and doesn’t show any obvious problems with them.

However, when I reconnected the Thunderbolt cable linking the LG 5K display to the Mac, I get one of the following behaviors:

• If I plug it into the Mac’s first Thunderbolt bus (ports 1 or 3), the LG 5K display remains black, the HDMI display remains active, but after a couple of seconds the computer stops responding to keyboard input; mouse movement is reflected by the cursor on the screen, but clicks have no effect and things that would normally respond to the mouse hovering over them do not do so.

• If I plug it into Thunderbolt bus 2 (ports 2 and 4) or bus 3 (ports 5 and 6), the LG 5K display remains black and after a couple of seconds the HDMI display reports loss of signal and goes black as well.

When I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable, after a couple of seconds the problem goes away — if the HDMI display was off it comes back on, and the keyboard and mouse start working again.

However, if I’ve left the Thunderbolt cable connected for more than about ten seconds, when the computer recovers, all apps have been abruptly closed and I find myself back at the login screen.

I considered trying to reset / upgrade the firmware on the LG, but I can’t usefully connect it to the Mac to do so.

Does this condition sound familiar to anyone?

Any advice about how to isolate the problem to either the Mac or the LG 5K display?

Thank you for any guidance you might have.

Mac Pro

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 6:44 AM

Great work, I only see 2 things you haven't tried...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 6:44 AM in response to Simon Cavalletto

Great work, I only see 2 things you haven't tried...

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Jul 9, 2020 6:57 PM in response to Simon Cavalletto

I borrowed a MacBook with a Thunderbolt 2 port, and the LG 5K display works fine there.

By process of elimination, it seems like the problem must be with the Thunderbolt ports or system configuration on my Mac.

The App Store's "Updates" panel reports all of my software is up to date.

System Report shows the boot ROM as 136.0.0.0.0.

The old Mac Pro SMC Firmware 2.0 and EFI 2.0 firmware updates will not run on my Mac; I assume this means they are not needed.

I've got the quad-core 3.7 Ghz model with 128 GB RAM and the AMD D300 GPU. I've got several external drive arrays connected via USB that continue to function correctly.

What else can I try before I give up and haul my Mac down to the local Apple Store and ask them to look at it?

Thanks!

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Freezes When Connected to LG UltraFine 5K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.