Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

grow shrink font/spelling and grammar check a paragraph

I am trying to make the transition from MS Word to Pages. So far there are 2 things I can't figure out how to do as I could on Word. Word has a grow font and shrink font command. So if I have a document with fonts at say 12, 14 and 16 size I could highlight the doc and shrink font 1 point and they would become 13, 15, and 17. This made it easy to edit a document of various font sizes to fit on a page. Is there a way to do that on Pages?

Also is there a way to highlight a paragraph within a document and check just that paragraph for spelling and grammar?

I used both of these features a lot on Word and would like to know how to do them on Pages if possible.

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2020 7:44 AM

Pages is no Word clone, and there is a huge feature gap between MS Word functionality, and what Apple has designed into its Pages consumer-oriented application.

In Pages, one must select all text that is to increase (⌘+) or decrease (⌘-) in font size, and change the font size using those keyboard shortcuts, or the font size adjustment in the Format panel. You can enter specific custom font sizes in the font size input area in the Format panel — even decimal font sizes.

The spelling checker in Pages will attempt to spell check the entire document, and will not be confined to selected text or paragraphs.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2020 7:44 AM in response to LHM

Pages is no Word clone, and there is a huge feature gap between MS Word functionality, and what Apple has designed into its Pages consumer-oriented application.

In Pages, one must select all text that is to increase (⌘+) or decrease (⌘-) in font size, and change the font size using those keyboard shortcuts, or the font size adjustment in the Format panel. You can enter specific custom font sizes in the font size input area in the Format panel — even decimal font sizes.

The spelling checker in Pages will attempt to spell check the entire document, and will not be confined to selected text or paragraphs.

Jul 10, 2020 8:05 AM in response to VikingOSX

"Pages is no Word clone, and there is a huge feature gap between MS Word functionality, and what Apple has designed into its Pages consumer-oriented application." As I am discovering. Debating whether or not to buy new Word as my current version will not work on Catalina. Thanks for your quick response and I will no longer try to hunt for these features. That's the kind of thing that drives me crazy, but I learn best from the discovery method.

grow shrink font/spelling and grammar check a paragraph

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.