Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV continuously flashing light

I'm trying to upgrade the software on my old Apple TV. It is saying that it can't detect the cable, but it was fine before I did the software upgrade. Now the Apple TV Unit has a continuously flashing light, and the TV shows it's "plugged in" but the remote buttons are not response. I have already:

1. unplugged the device from the TV, left it for half and hour, and plugged it all back in
  2. held down the menu and down arrow to do a reset
  3. held down the menu and play button to do a reset
  4. held down the play and down arrow to do a reset

Right now, it's still flashing. I've tried plugging it into my computer and opening iTunes, but the device isn't seen.

Any suggestions on what ELSE I can try and do? It's a second veneration (old) Apple TV. Was super excited to see it connected find to the TV and it was about to start working until I did the software update.

What next, or what else, can I do?

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 2:48 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

(Please see point 3)

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable for the Apple TV 2 and 3 models or a USB-C cable for the Apple TV HD (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB (or USB-C) cable to the Apple TV and then to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (omit this step for Apple TV 2) 
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list (which can be found below the volume slider near the top of the iTunes window), and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 2:48 AM in response to Nickster6605

Welcome to the Apple Community.

(Please see point 3)

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable for the Apple TV 2 and 3 models or a USB-C cable for the Apple TV HD (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB (or USB-C) cable to the Apple TV and then to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (omit this step for Apple TV 2) 
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list (which can be found below the volume slider near the top of the iTunes window), and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

Apple TV continuously flashing light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.