Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G-Raid Studio Thunderbolt 2 drive connected to Mac Mini with a USB C adaptor does not mount

Hi. I recently got a Mac Mini after not having a Mac for a few years. As I had the cylindrical black desktop, I was using the G-Raid Studio drive with a Thunderbolt cable, so am very keen to use it now, for music and Time Machine backups.

I purchased the appropriate Apple adaptor and have it connected via the adaptor cable into a USB C port.

Despite all of it's details appearing under System Information > Hardware > Thunderbolt (vendor / device name, UID, etc), it does not mount, or appear in Disk Utility, so is rather frustrating to say the least.

If anybody has a solution, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks,

Sarah

Cornwall, England

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 6:50 AM

When they say "start with the basics", it is actually true....!

I am dependent upon others to physically connect devices due to my disability. It turned out that the wrong AC adaptor was connected to my G-Raid Studio...

Forgetting the hours spent on looking at "the problem", I am very happy that it is working, and immediately mounted in macOS once switched back on!! So, this device definitely does work with the adaptor mentioned.

Many thanks to everybody who replied, and to Christophe at Western Digital for his patience.

Sarah

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 6:50 AM in response to SarahD22

When they say "start with the basics", it is actually true....!

I am dependent upon others to physically connect devices due to my disability. It turned out that the wrong AC adaptor was connected to my G-Raid Studio...

Forgetting the hours spent on looking at "the problem", I am very happy that it is working, and immediately mounted in macOS once switched back on!! So, this device definitely does work with the adaptor mentioned.

Many thanks to everybody who replied, and to Christophe at Western Digital for his patience.

Sarah

Jul 12, 2020 9:54 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your reply. I have double checked the power and connection, but when it still didn’t mount, I installed extFS and NTFS for Mac as I can’t remember what is on the drive, so was grasping at straws I guess. Neither caused the G-Raid Studio to mount.  

I have taken a screen capture that I would be very grateful for your option on.

Many thanks again, 

Sarah 

Jul 12, 2020 2:36 PM in response to SarahD22

Based on how long you have had the G-Raid Studio, there may be firmware updates available (or not), and newer G-Raid Studio software from here. Is the closest G-Drive dealer in London, as I was wondering if you could get phone support from them, or at least help from their community?

The new Mac mini is offering TB3, and that G-Raid Studio is TB2. As I mentioned earlier, the Apple TB3 to TB2 cable does not pass power, and I would expect you are also using an Apple TB2 cable for the final device connection with the Studio plugged into its own power. It is encouraging that the Apple hardware is recognizing the G-Raid, but I don't know where to go beyond that.

Unless you get help from G-Drive or their community, or someone here using the G-RAID Studio with a new Mac mini, this may be tough to resolve. I can think of nothing else I can offer at this time.

Jul 12, 2020 4:17 PM in response to SarahD22

Have you tried using a USB 3 cable (with USB-C adaptor) instead? I recall that the G-Raid also had a USB 3 connection option. Is there another computer you can try to connect to in order to make sure there isn't some problem with the G-Raid software or firmware?

If none of this works, you could also contact Western Digital about this. I would not give up on a storage system like that without trying a few more things. You could also explore some of the software downloads and guidance on their web page for this product

https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/products/detailnew/p/90/~/g-raid-with-thunderbolt-2

G-Raid Studio Thunderbolt 2 drive connected to Mac Mini with a USB C adaptor does not mount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.