Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac browser hijacker removal

Looks like my mac has been infected with browser hijacker (Safe Finder) in safari and chrome (those are the two that I generally use). Primarily, I use google.com search engine. Even in a google search, I am redirected to yahoo search and looks like "Searchengdetection.com" is being used. I did all the preference reset in both Safari and Chrome.

In Chrome, I see that I cannot remove the search bar (screen shot attached)

I have SEP running on my mac but that doesnt seem to be doing it. Upon an internet search, I see a lot of recommendations to run different "mamlware cleaner" programs. I am very wary of all these programs.

Experts of the community- please suggest a malware/adware/browser hijacker cleaner that is safe to use.

Is there anything apple recommended?

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 11:26 AM

Only know about Safari. Both of the apps suggested below are highly recommended by experts on this forum.

Re-launch Safari with Shift key down, then delete History and Website Data from Safari preferences.

If the adware returns anyway, download and run the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You don’t need to upgrade to the paid version.

Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac

And/or...

Download and run EtreCheck. It’s free, safe and only runs when you launch it, so it doesn’t slow down your Mac.

https://etrecheck.com/

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 11:26 AM in response to Mita2020

Only know about Safari. Both of the apps suggested below are highly recommended by experts on this forum.

Re-launch Safari with Shift key down, then delete History and Website Data from Safari preferences.

If the adware returns anyway, download and run the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You don’t need to upgrade to the paid version.

Malwarebytes | Malwarebytes for Mac

And/or...

Download and run EtreCheck. It’s free, safe and only runs when you launch it, so it doesn’t slow down your Mac.

https://etrecheck.com/

Jul 12, 2020 3:44 PM in response to Mita2020

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

Mac browser hijacker removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.