Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine alternative to Time Capsule

Not sure where to post this. I'm asking for my brother. He has an old Time Capsule (1TB). He now has several MacBook Pros in his house. He is looking for a good wifi backup solution using Time Machine. Looks like Apple no longer sells Time Capsule. I don't thin his is upgradable to add more storage. I assume he will need 3 or 4 TB for their 3 laptops. What do you all recommend. The are all running Catalina.

I assume backing up to iCloud would be too expensive?

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 1:31 PM

The iCloud Drive is not an off computer backup facility. It's a syncing feature so that multiple Mac that are signed into the same iCloud account can have access to the same files. Any change on one Mac will be reflected on the others.

Read this Apple document for the specs required for a TM backup drive: Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 1:31 PM in response to Alfredo Jahn

The iCloud Drive is not an off computer backup facility. It's a syncing feature so that multiple Mac that are signed into the same iCloud account can have access to the same files. Any change on one Mac will be reflected on the others.

Read this Apple document for the specs required for a TM backup drive: Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac.

Time Machine alternative to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.