Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes xml file

My itunes library xml file is not updating. I noticed that I have an "iTunes" folder and also an "iTunes Music" folder. Am I supposed to have both of these. The iTunes folder contains fewer music folders than the iTunes Music folder.

Thanks.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 12:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 8:04 AM

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some background on library layout. A folder called iTunes Music suggests a library that started out with iTunes 8 or earlier. All media should be in the designated media folder as defined under Edit > Preferences > Advanced. Typically this folder is called iTunes Media, and artist folders go into a separate folder inside that called Music.

Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML if you want the XML file to be created/updated. This is only useful if you have third party apps that tap into it.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 8:04 AM in response to SamDesperado

See Make a split library portable - Apple Community for some background on library layout. A folder called iTunes Music suggests a library that started out with iTunes 8 or earlier. All media should be in the designated media folder as defined under Edit > Preferences > Advanced. Typically this folder is called iTunes Media, and artist folders go into a separate folder inside that called Music.

Use Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML if you want the XML file to be created/updated. This is only useful if you have third party apps that tap into it.

tt2

Jul 12, 2020 9:34 AM in response to turingtest2

My default path for itunes to find my music is: c:\users\sam\music\itunes\itunes music

The Music folder on my PC - has all my songs in folders by artist; - has an "itunes" folder with folders of all my artists, but no songs in the folders.

The "iTunes" folder has an "iTunes Music" folder with folders of all artists with all songs by each artist contained therein.

The "Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML" box has been checked for some time, but it will not update to share added songs with Sonos or another 3rd party app.

Jul 12, 2020 12:27 PM in response to SamDesperado

Try deleting the XML file in the iTunes folder (make a backup first if you wish), then turn the option to share the XML off, close the preferences dialog, then turn back on again and see if it behaves. Failing that you can use File > Library > Export Library to make a new XML file with the current information about your library.

Personally, I would (with iTunes closed) rename the folder iTunes Music as iTunes Media and relaunch to make it match the modern format. I would also use File > Library > Organize Library > Rearrange Files which puts artist folders one level deeper and cleans up the layout of the iTunes Media folder so that each type of media gets its own subfolder. Not quite sure how you've ended up with empty folders at higher levels but I would want to clear those up having checked first that they were really empty.

tt2

iTunes xml file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.