Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2010 4gb memory

Hello,

Ive got an old MBP-17" uni-body early 2010, running High Sierra. I have 2- 2 gb of ram memory installed so a total of 4gb. Is it possible to upgrade to, 2- 4gb rams for a total of 8gb mem in it?

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 4:04 PM

A more economical option to maximize the memory in this laptop is to purchase a single 8GB stick of memory from either Crucial or OWC. Remove one of the original Apple memory modules and install the new 8GB stick of memory so you have 10GB of RAM.

7 replies

Jul 11, 2020 5:43 PM in response to HWTech

A more economical option to maximize the memory in this laptop is to purchase a single 8GB stick of memory from either Crucial or OWC.

Have you tried that? All the references I have show the 2010 MBP cannot recognize more that 8GB. It would be a neat solution if it works.

I know it works with 2011 and 2012 models, but their memory controller will recognize up to 16GB.

Jul 11, 2020 7:00 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan Jones wrote:

A more economical option to maximize the memory in this laptop is to purchase a single 8GB stick of memory from either Crucial or OWC.

Have you tried that? All the references I have show the 2010 MBP cannot recognize more that 8GB. It would be a neat solution if it works.

I know it works with 2011 and 2012 models, but their memory controller will recognize up to 16GB.

EveryMac shows that if macOS 10.7 has been installed at some point, then the laptop has the firmware update which can work with 8GB modules. OWC shows the 2010 model can accept 8GB modules:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3

Macbook Pro 2010 4gb memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.