Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 11 ProMax gets hot. Is something wrong?

I use camera features a lot, but not flash. Has anyone else experienced significant HEAT from this iPhone model?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 3:44 PM

The camera uses a lot of energy, so the phone will get warm near the camera. The phone has a thermal sensor, and it will warn if the phone exceeds its temperature operating limits. If you don’t see that warning the phone is within its normal operating range.

5 replies

Jul 12, 2020 8:19 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am a frequent user of the camera! And, I also edit the photos I take. And, it is always near the top of the phone I feel the heat. Sometimes the heat is noticeable even while I have the phone in my pocket.

I ordered and installed the iPhone in an Apple battery pack/cover for a while, and removed it thinking the heat was perhaps caused by the battery pack. I generally use the Qi type charging disk, lay the phone face up on the charging disk at night to top it up while I am not using it. Guess I’ll reinsert the phone into the battery pack/cover, paying close attention to keeping it in cooler environs during this long hot summer!

I appreciate your input.

Jul 12, 2020 8:41 AM in response to bj mobile al

It will definitely run hotter in the case, both because the case insulates the phone and because its battery also gets warm when in use. Have you tried charging the phone overnight using the wireless charger? For many people the battery will last a full day if it starts the day at full charge, meaning it won’t need any supplemental charging.

Jul 18, 2020 8:55 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for the reply. I use a wireless charger at night, placing the phone (in the charging case from Apple) on the charger when I go to bed.

In a simple “sleeve” case, which I had before the charging case, the phone would not last all day, without needing a boost. I figure it is due to my use of health apps, and keeping the entire PHOTOS library on the phone too. (I have about 17,000 photos). Plus I edit photos on my phone (512g capacity) and on the iPad (1T capacity). Perhaps that has affected the battery life, as well as activity updating photos could create heat during processing?

The charging case will charge by itself, empty of the phone. The phone will charge nicely without a case at all. However, if I have to pick it up during the night I’m afraid I’ll drop the slippery slim device. And, removing the case nightly seems a bit of a chore.

Knowing the heat is normal, that relieves my mind about damaging the phone.

I appreciate your input.

My iPhone 11 ProMax gets hot. Is something wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.