Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why wont my png file not make the background clear in i movie pictue in picture

Im trying to do a picture in picture thing in my i movie and when i imported my png into i movie it dose not make the background transparent not creating the clear background effect. Ive checked the file and it is a png. I've tried multiple pngs and none of them work. Be grateful if you had any suggestons or answers on how to fix this?

Im using: i movie 10.1.8

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 8:33 PM

What is the source of your PNG files? How did you try to create the transparency file? Not all PNG files have transparency capability. For example, the PNG that you get from a screen shot does not. Even a PNG from Photoshop will not have transparency capability unless you check the transparency box. As I understand it, 8 bit and 24 bit do not have transparency capability, but 32 bit does.

On the other hand, perhaps the issue is caused by a corrupt preference in iMovie. Try deleting preferences. Open

iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the PiP feature works correctly.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 8:33 PM in response to Alexful06

What is the source of your PNG files? How did you try to create the transparency file? Not all PNG files have transparency capability. For example, the PNG that you get from a screen shot does not. Even a PNG from Photoshop will not have transparency capability unless you check the transparency box. As I understand it, 8 bit and 24 bit do not have transparency capability, but 32 bit does.

On the other hand, perhaps the issue is caused by a corrupt preference in iMovie. Try deleting preferences. Open

iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the PiP feature works correctly.

-- Rich

why wont my png file not make the background clear in i movie pictue in picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.