Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Worth to upgrade late 2015 mac to ssd

Hi,

We own a late 2015 21.5 in 4K retina mac running Catalina

Despite various factory resets and tidy ups, it continues to perform very slowly to the extent that it almost now unusable. I investigated potential upgrades and see that it is possible and common to upgrade to an ssd. I was given a quote to do this by a local mac repair company for about 400 usd equivalent for a 1TB Samsung drive.

My question is given the age of the machine now , and the fact I can’t upgrade the RAM, is this still a worthwhile upgrade. If we could get a few more years use, I would think it would be worthwhile. Our tasks are mostly standard things like very basic level Photo and video (GoPro) editing, email, internet, etc.

thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2020 10:54 PM

Well, if you have the standard configuration, your hard drive is a snail speed 5400 rpm spinning drive. Even a 7200 rpm spinning drive would be faster and an SSD much faster.

Professional installation is recommended according to this site which has excellent install videos (as well as hard drives, RAM, etc):

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_21inch_late_2013_hdd/iMac16-2/

So you can check prices and then visit an authorized service provider and ask them how much it would be and then make your own decision. An SSD will help, but if you cannot add more RAM, that will be a roadblock with some apps (which are resource hungry).

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2020 10:54 PM in response to Paul12Paul

Well, if you have the standard configuration, your hard drive is a snail speed 5400 rpm spinning drive. Even a 7200 rpm spinning drive would be faster and an SSD much faster.

Professional installation is recommended according to this site which has excellent install videos (as well as hard drives, RAM, etc):

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_21inch_late_2013_hdd/iMac16-2/

So you can check prices and then visit an authorized service provider and ask them how much it would be and then make your own decision. An SSD will help, but if you cannot add more RAM, that will be a roadblock with some apps (which are resource hungry).

Jul 12, 2020 4:18 AM in response to Paul12Paul

A much easier and cheaper way to upgrade to an SSD is to

purchase either an external enclosure and install an SSD in it

or one of the myriad ready to go SSDs currently on the market.

Then, move current installation on to it and use it as

a boot drive.

There are two ways to accomplish this. The easiest would be to create

a clone of your internal drive on the external or install your current version

of macOS on the new external drive and use Migration Assistant to move

all your internal data and apps to it. Once either of these are complete,

simply open System Preferences->Startup Disk, set the external as a

boot drive, and reboot.

Total cost, the price of the external SSD drive and if doing the clone approach,

the cost of the cloning app (some are free) and some time. Much less than the

$400 quoted ($150-200 and perhaps cheaper with a bit of shopping) and a

very significant speed boost. The big plus, your iMac remains sealed and untouched.

FWIW, I did this for several years when I first got my late 2013 27" iMac which

had an HDD without any issue.

Worth to upgrade late 2015 mac to ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.