Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling Operating System From Big Sur

Hello!

Last Month, my iMac crashed. They replaced the hard drive, so it was like having a new computer. When I set up my computer, I opted in to use the Big Sur Beta versions. I liked the features on Big Sur, but I have a big problem.

PROBLEM: I am a photographer. I downloaded some editing software specifically from a company called Topaz Labs. Unfortunately, the suite of programs that I downloaded from them...they do not support Big Sur. But, I believe that they support the prior version of the Mac OS.

QUESTION: Is it possible to Uninstall Big Sur. THEN, reinstall the Mac OS prior to Big Sur on my computer. AND, is it possible to do this without losing my data? I am also doing backups on an external drive thru Time Machine.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Dale

iMac 27″, macOS 10.16

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 1:33 AM

If you want to install other versions of macOS then please follow these steps (How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery – Apple Support)

CORRECTION

Please hold command-option-r to reinstall the latest macOS compatible with your mac or shift-option-command-r to reinstall the operating system version your iMac came with.

Sorry for the confusion

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2020 1:33 AM in response to Person_2099

If you want to install other versions of macOS then please follow these steps (How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery – Apple Support)

CORRECTION

Please hold command-option-r to reinstall the latest macOS compatible with your mac or shift-option-command-r to reinstall the operating system version your iMac came with.

Sorry for the confusion

Jul 12, 2020 1:30 AM in response to DALE31

I would recommend starting your iMac up in recovery mode (Steps Below) and then reinstalling macOS. This will unfortunately erase all your data (I think 🤔) but will give you back the system you had when you first received the iMac. I would then use the time machine backup to recover all your files.

Recovery Mode (and reinstall macOS)

• Shut Down Your Mac
  • Press the power button and then immediately hold down the command and R keys until the apple logo appears.
  • Then wait until recovery mode boots up, the background should be grey and there should be a window in the middle.
  • Once the window is finished loading select your user account and enter that users password
  • Then a different window should appear with four options. Select reinstall macOS and follow the instructions.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this message.

-Person2099

Aug 6, 2020 8:40 PM in response to Person_2099

I've been doing the public beta since it started. I know during the last few years if you are on a beta you cannot go back to the original or latest official release through that method unless you completely erase your drive. If you are going to try beta for the first time or have issues with having to have certain software which may not be operational on Beta or you aren't sure how to troubleshoot if there is a problem and eventually there will be. BE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE INSTALLING THE BETA (sorry for the caps). Hope that helps. I haven't bothered with the Communities for a long time so hopefully I haven't stepped on any toes.

Reinstalling Operating System From Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.