Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unknown Icon in Menu Bar

I have this strange icon that is new in my menu bar. Dragging the cursor over it does not reveal the name, it cannot be right-clicked, and it cannot be removed from the menu bar with command + drag. I have included a picture of it below.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 12, 2020 11:55 AM

4 replies

Jul 12, 2020 12:26 PM in response to ccgpandora

ccgpandora wrote:

I have this strange icon that is new in my menu bar. Dragging the cursor over it does not reveal the name, it cannot be right-clicked, and it cannot be removed from the menu bar with command + drag. I have included a picture of it below.

Thanks!
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/a182ff2e-283b-4428-8e96-0074735e528d

What happens when you simply click on it?

What apps are running?

What apps do you have launch at log in?

>System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login items

If ti is an old app you can try Relaunch the Menu Bar using the Terminal.app copy & paste:

killall -KILL SystemUIServer

Jul 12, 2020 12:52 PM in response to ccgpandora

Run the following AppleScript. It will name the menu extra items in your menu bar. Launch Script Editor from Dock : Launchpad : Other, and copy/paste the following AppleScript into it. Click the compile (hammer) icon, and then the Run button:

tell application "System Events"
	tell the front menu bar of process "SystemUIServer"
		set menu_extras to value of attribute "AXDescription" of menu bar items
	end tell
end tell
set {TID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, return}
display dialog (items of menu_extras) as text with title "Menu Extra Names"
set AppleScript's text item delimiters to TID
return

Jul 12, 2020 1:07 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have tried the first reply and it still remains, even when I restart my Mac. I have gone through activity monitor looking for anything that would give a clue. As for the second reply I have attached the second screenshot for that as well. It is not bettertouchtool as that is the icon to the right of it. I have actually just gotten to the bottom of what it is coincidentally by quitting BTT, it goes away. It is the plugin "GoldenChaos" that I run through bettertouchtool (BTT). Just went back to the plugin page and realized the icon matches. This must be a new icon that appears with one of the recent plugin updates. Weird, because it was never present previously with this plugin. I am going to see if I can turn it off in the plugin settings. Thank you everyone for your help.

Unknown Icon in Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.