Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rapportd trying to access my computer

Why is rapportd 192.168.**** asking to access my computer.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 9:52 AM

xtuw694 wrote:

Why is rapportd 192.*** asking to access my computer.

This is not an issue:

This is your Home network and uses this address range.

This is part of the macOS doing its job /System/Library/Frameworks/ (among others)

You can run a sample of rapportd from the Activity Monitor if in doubt.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you are having a problem, please state what that is ?

rapportd is a daemon that, among other things, facilitates text message forwarding and other Handoff functionality. If your Mac is connected to the internet through a NAT router, it is inaccessible directly from the internet unless you have enabled port forwarding through your router.

[Edited by Moderator]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2020 9:52 AM in response to xtuw694

xtuw694 wrote:

Why is rapportd 192.*** asking to access my computer.

This is not an issue:

This is your Home network and uses this address range.

This is part of the macOS doing its job /System/Library/Frameworks/ (among others)

You can run a sample of rapportd from the Activity Monitor if in doubt.

Activity Monitor User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you are having a problem, please state what that is ?

rapportd is a daemon that, among other things, facilitates text message forwarding and other Handoff functionality. If your Mac is connected to the internet through a NAT router, it is inaccessible directly from the internet unless you have enabled port forwarding through your router.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 13, 2020 8:10 AM in response to xtuw694

Some Apple software is chatting with another host on the local network around provided or available services.

The Rapport daemon (rapportd) is part of what Apple refers to as continuity, and per Apple rapportd provides call-handoff services on your local network, among other uses.

Pragmatically, it’s some Apple-signed code in the same general realm as Bonjour mDNS services and the MultiPeer connectivity services:

MultipeerConnectivity

Support peer-to-peer connectivity and the discovery of nearby devices.

TL;DR: rapportd is part of macOS and other Apple operating systems, is oft discussed, and best to allow to operate.

This rapportd as distinguished from the IBM Trusteer Rapport stuff, which is some add-on anti-malware, and I generally discourage installing most add-on anti-malware, outside of business networks and end-point security; outside of cases where there’s a complex network infrastructure and the folks needed to support it.

Unrelated to rapportd... The local network is not configured to be amenable to VPN services. The 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24 subnets are best avoided, as they’re widely used subnet ranges, and VPNs are based on IP routing, and IP routing doesn’t always work as expected with the same subnet on both ends of the network connection. This if you’re potentially ever using a VPN service for remote access.

Jul 29, 2020 9:48 AM in response to xtuw694

rapportd is part of the OS, and 192.*** is almost certainly the local IP address of your mac, which you can check easily in System Preferences->Network.

You probably have installed something like LittleSnitch and are looking for stuff you do not understand.

Just use your mac and stop looking for gremlins.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Rapportd trying to access my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.