Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Partiton

How can I fix my MacBook from freezing when I select the 'Windows' partition?

After restarting the MacBook and holding down the Option Key, I go to select 'Windows' and it freezes. This never happened to me before.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 10:41 AM

15 replies

Jul 14, 2020 11:39 AM in response to Spk_of

Spk_of wrote:

No. I did not.

🤔

All I did was use the Disk Utility to partition a section of data; I wanted to add more storage to my 'Windows' partition. After that, I think thats when it stopped working.

And, this is expected behavior. From Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support,

• When Boot Camp Assistant asks you to set the size of the Windows partition, remember the minimum storage-space requirements in the previous section. Set a partition size that meets your needs, because you can't change its size later.

Are you able to see Windows files in macOS Finder?

Jul 18, 2020 8:19 AM in response to Spk_of

There are two 'modes' of Windows installation. BIOS (legacy) and UEFI. The BIOS mode installation requires the partitions to mimic a MBR disk using a Hybrid MBR. If you change partitions, the MBR and the underlying partitions are out-of-sync. This causes boot issues. Creating a partition is not recommended for such installations. 2014 and older models support a MBR for BIOS mode.

From macOS terminal, post the output of

diskutil list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

You may temporarily need to disable SIP using csrutil in local recovery.

Jul 13, 2020 3:32 PM in response to Loner T

It does still freeze if I use that route. I also do not have any third-party NTFS drivers.

I clicked 'Info' while in Disk Utility and see this as a problem:

Owners enabled : No

Is encrypted : No

System Integrity Protection supported : No

Can be verified : No

Can be repaired : No

Bootable : No

Journaled : No

Boot Camp Partiton

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.