Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is the photos library stored in Catalina?

I'm having a 2 pronged issue with Photos. Firstly, I need to know where the library is stored. It used to be in a folder titled pictures? I was looking for it so I could back it up to an external drive. In the process of searching I might have done something (switched libraries) to it though I never found it.

2nd issue: when I open Photos now it only contains photos up to 2017, meaning a huge number are missing. I suspect they are still there in the illusive current library.

Any help appreciated

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 12:06 PM

By default the Photos Library should still be in your Pictures folder.

You can see in Photos, where your current Photos Library is stored.

• Launch Photos, if it is not running.
  • Open the Photos > Preferences > General. The top row is showing the location of the library. Below it is a button "Show in Finder".

To see all libraries, that Photos can find, quit Photos, then launch it again while holding down the options key ⌥. Release the key, when the library chooser dialog appears.

The dialog will show you a list of available libraries. One of them should be marked System Photo Library.

Does any of these libraries hold the missing pictures?

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2020 12:06 PM in response to Sraddha Durand

By default the Photos Library should still be in your Pictures folder.

You can see in Photos, where your current Photos Library is stored.

• Launch Photos, if it is not running.
  • Open the Photos > Preferences > General. The top row is showing the location of the library. Below it is a button "Show in Finder".

To see all libraries, that Photos can find, quit Photos, then launch it again while holding down the options key ⌥. Release the key, when the library chooser dialog appears.

The dialog will show you a list of available libraries. One of them should be marked System Photo Library.

Does any of these libraries hold the missing pictures?

Jul 14, 2020 9:35 PM in response to Sraddha Durand

In addition to the incompatible system extensions and frameworks léonie mentioned, files could be in incompatible locations! Catalina won't let you store your own files and folders outside your personal data area. If Catalina installation finds user files or user folders in one another location, they will be moved into Relocated Items.

A common place where some users stored user data that is no longer allowed is at the root of your system volume. (I got caught by that one.)

Jul 15, 2020 4:40 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I did not think that /Users/Shared would be handled that way, but I have heard that it is no longer a safe place for Photos libraries. The only apparently safe place to store shared Photos libraries has been on a separate volume with file permissions ignored (only if you never have two users logged in at once), and even that may no longer be safe under Catalina.

where is the photos library stored in Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.