Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blank screen with working external monitor

I have a new macbook pro and suddenly the screen on the laptop is blank, but my plugged in external monitor is working properly. I've tried resetting the SMC and forced off and on, but the screen is still blank.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 1:47 PM

Hello, shelbyfromshelbyville.

After reviewing your post, it appears that your MacBook Pro opens to a blank screen, but your external monitor works just fine. Good job in resetting the System Management Controller, and we're glad to help with this.

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen -- Start your Mac in macOS Recovery, then use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 1:47 PM in response to shelbyfromshelbyville

Hello, shelbyfromshelbyville.

After reviewing your post, it appears that your MacBook Pro opens to a blank screen, but your external monitor works just fine. Good job in resetting the System Management Controller, and we're glad to help with this.

If your Mac starts up to a blank screen -- Start your Mac in macOS Recovery, then use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk.

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

blank screen with working external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.