Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using dual monitor set up with one program

I don't think this is possible on the iMac but is there a way to extend one application window across both monitors? I have an external monitor connected to my iMac and arranged in the display settings so it's not set to mirror. I can use both monitors independently but I can't seem to extend one window across both monitors. You can do this on PCs so if you have a large spreadsheet, for instance, it goes across all the monitors. Is this possible? I spoke to apple support and they said no but trying to see if there is a solution. Is this an macOS issue or video card? This is for a brand new iMac 27" if that makes any difference.

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 1:49 PM

Basically it is the default Spaces settings in Mission Control that is messing with you. Personally I never care much for Spaces, but I guess it kind of makes sense for folks using a single display.

To fix it, go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control and un-checking all of the boxes on the Mission Control preference panel, then you should be able to correctly Span a window across both displays.

That is, if both displays are the same size and resolution. Sadly if that are not, then you will most likely have a size and alignment problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 1:49 PM in response to wh0y00

Basically it is the default Spaces settings in Mission Control that is messing with you. Personally I never care much for Spaces, but I guess it kind of makes sense for folks using a single display.

To fix it, go to Apple > System Preferences > Mission Control and un-checking all of the boxes on the Mission Control preference panel, then you should be able to correctly Span a window across both displays.

That is, if both displays are the same size and resolution. Sadly if that are not, then you will most likely have a size and alignment problem.

Jul 14, 2020 4:26 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you @den.thed! Your fix worked. While my screen is same size, the resolution is different (4k vs 5k iMac) so the alignment isn't perfect but I can work with that. It's really for a virtual desktop so don't necessarily need to span one window across both screens for reading. I just need the screen real estate for multiple applications on the virtual desktop. The only other thing I needed to do was log off and log back on.

Using dual monitor set up with one program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.