Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac14,1 Mojave to Catalina - potential issues?

My 2013 21.5" iMac14,1 is currently running Mojave (10.15.5), and it has indeed had a LOT of lag issues with most applications already since its upgrade from the previous OS. (Ex: mostAdobe and MS applications take FOREVER just to open, lots of internet sluggishness, etc.)

Won't upgrading from Mojave to Catalina potentially paralyze my whole Mac?

iMac Pro

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 2:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2020 6:54 PM

Do you have a Fusion drive or flash storage, or is it a mechanical drive? If it is a mechanical drive, I doubt you will see much if any improvement.

In fact, generally speaking, upgrading the OS is not a good solution to a computer that is exhibiting sluggishness. It's better to try to isolate the root cause and address it rather than hope upgrading the OS will fix something.

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if the issues are resolved? That would point you towards something you have installed if it improves in safe mode. Also, creating another user and checking to see if the problems are the same for the other user is another way to get a handle on whether this is due to something you installed.

You can also check the condition of the disk and memory with various utilities, in case degrading hardware is the cause.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2020 6:54 PM in response to Stitchverine2000

Do you have a Fusion drive or flash storage, or is it a mechanical drive? If it is a mechanical drive, I doubt you will see much if any improvement.

In fact, generally speaking, upgrading the OS is not a good solution to a computer that is exhibiting sluggishness. It's better to try to isolate the root cause and address it rather than hope upgrading the OS will fix something.

Have you tried booting into safe mode to see if the issues are resolved? That would point you towards something you have installed if it improves in safe mode. Also, creating another user and checking to see if the problems are the same for the other user is another way to get a handle on whether this is due to something you installed.

You can also check the condition of the disk and memory with various utilities, in case degrading hardware is the cause.

iMac14,1 Mojave to Catalina - potential issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.