Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos unable to open library after repair.

[This is up to date Catalina and Photos.]

My Library kept crashing whenever the cursor got near a particular Smart Album - no obvious reason why this happens.

So I tried Disk Utility and then Repair Library. A couple of times, the Repair crashed at 97% complete. Now it gets to 100% but then says <<Photos was unable to open the library. (3145)>>.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 10:47 AM

Do you have a backup of the library, i.e. in Time Machine perhaps? If so restore the library to the version created just prior to your trying to repair it.

Once that's done there may be a way to delete the problem smart album without having to click on it.

1 - click on the My Album folder in the sidebar and locate the problem album in the right hand pane.

2 - duplicate the albums on either side of the problem album.

3 - holding down the **** key click on the album immediately to the left and right of the problem album so as to select all three. Hopefully this won't crash the library.

4 - press the Delete key to delete all 3 albums. (This is why you duplicated the albums to the left and right of the problem album.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2020 10:47 AM in response to keithedwards275

Do you have a backup of the library, i.e. in Time Machine perhaps? If so restore the library to the version created just prior to your trying to repair it.

Once that's done there may be a way to delete the problem smart album without having to click on it.

1 - click on the My Album folder in the sidebar and locate the problem album in the right hand pane.

2 - duplicate the albums on either side of the problem album.

3 - holding down the **** key click on the album immediately to the left and right of the problem album so as to select all three. Hopefully this won't crash the library.

4 - press the Delete key to delete all 3 albums. (This is why you duplicated the albums to the left and right of the problem album.

Photos unable to open library after repair.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.