Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

$1800 macbook pro 2019 runs with noticeable poor performance like a core 2 duo pc.

how the **** can a $1800 macbook pro 2019 runs with noticeable poor performance equivalent to a core 2 duo windows laptop? this machine running macos mojave 10.14.6 exhibits unresponsive clicks when closing apps, shutting down and lunching apps, I'll have to click the action buttons multiple times before it executes. opening vlc takes 3 mins to lunch. waking the macbook from sleep by unlocking freezes the mouse cursor for some time before it respond. I had a mid 2012 macbook air 1.1ghz, 8gb ram with high seirra and it run smoothly. is it that apple is now giving us a poor engine with this stupid inbuilt components like ram and ssd or a worse macos like mojave

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 9:55 AM

Run the Apple Diagnostics.

Run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jul 18, 2020 11:42 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

let me add that when my notebook shipped with catalina installed but I have read very bad/negative user reviews both on the apple app store and elsewhere about catalina so after the initaial setup, I downloaded and created mojave boot disk from the app store and installed it. upon installation, I realized the ssd (256gb) was somehow "cloned" thats appearing double as "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh Data" with the same sizes and usage. so I formatted the HD and installed mojave on it, afterwards i went ahead and deleted the Clone (Data) using disk utility and began using my computer.

Jul 19, 2020 9:25 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Well it did, and I have downgraded the OS from Catalina to Mojave 10.14.6. meaning I have installed an older OS than the one it shipped with and thats what Im using now

Thanks very much Ive sold the problem by reformatting and reinstalling the macOS mojave using the same boot drive I used initially. Now apps lunch shortly after clicking on them. thanks for the help

Jul 19, 2020 9:33 AM in response to youngevans

The problem may arise that newer hardware that shipped with a specific operating system version may not be supported by an older operating system. If some hardware/system requires Catalina the functionality may not be built in to a previous operating system. Same applies for all computers shipped with a specific operating system.

I don't know if this is an actual case but let's assume that the new hardware (computer shipped with Catalina) requires improved battery health monitoring. Catalina provides that functionality. An earlier operating system version like Mojave may not include that functionality.

If it works for you, great.

Jul 19, 2020 1:23 PM in response to youngevans

Sometimes there are some Apple computers where a computer shipped with a certain OS (lets say it was Mojave). Later Apple release a newer version of macOS Catalina. If Apple did not release a different model/version of the computer, then it is possible to downgrade the OS from Catalina to Mojave if the hardware did not change. Unless you follow the hardware releases very closely you can never be sure if downgrading is possible. Even if you follow the hardware closely it can be difficult to determine which system can be downgraded. That is why it is safest to say you cannot downgrade the OS from that which originally shipped with a Mac.

An older version of macOS may not have a necessary driver for some component. While it may appear to work, the driver may be missing something critical to allow smooth operation. Upgrading an OS is fine since the newer version of macOS will include all the necessary drivers for all supported hardware. Of course once Apple drops support for their older hardware newer versions of macOS are unlikely to work on the older systems Apple no longer supports because certain drivers have been removed from the OS.

This is just the way it works. The same thing happens with every operating system whether it is macOS, Windows, Linux, or any other OS.

$1800 macbook pro 2019 runs with noticeable poor performance like a core 2 duo pc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.