Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro 16 inch late 2019 not working out of box

Purchased this in April, given as gift to recipient today upon opening the box, no start up. It has the battery symbol with the red line. Does this mean it needs to charge first or is this considered dead. How long should it take for a new Macbook Pro to charge?

Posted on Jul 17, 2020 10:20 PM

11 replies

Jul 18, 2020 4:20 AM in response to Boohead1

Boohead1 wrote:

Thanks for the reply but I will try to get replacement. If I do what you suggested, I am really going to be out of luck then. It is 3 months old, but opened the box yesterday. I am within warranty I believe.

If the battery has gone completely dead, Plug it into the mains —

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

I would not recommend removing the bottom panel on a brand new machine—it will void your warranty.

If not resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Jul 18, 2020 2:15 AM in response to Axel Foley

Unfortunately, because it is now 3 months, I am over the return time allowed. I sent an email to the company to see if an exception can be made. I am asking for an exchange. If they can't help, then I will try Apple online support and see what can be done. Maybe I can get the credit card company involved if the company won't assist. Thanks for the replies.

Jul 18, 2020 2:35 AM in response to Axel Foley

IF you are getting a battery symbol and it is brand new, I would bet the battery didn’t get plugged in all the way. The way this could be fixed is to pul the panel off the bottom and find the flex cable for the battery. Pry the connection up, then reconnect it. If this doesn’t work, then I would bet the actual flex cable/battery has a defect.

If this is a process you’re comfortable with, remember that any unauthorized repairs or modifications will void the products warranty.

If the product is out of warranty this would be a cheap and relatively easy troubleshoot, though if the product is in the warranty window the easiest thing would be to get it repaired at the Apple store. Most things like this will be free, especially if it’s a “lemon”.

Hope any of these responses/tips helps.

You can reference YouTube for visual aids on any of the topics I mentioned.

thanks!

-Tylor C.

New Macbook Pro 16 inch late 2019 not working out of box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.