Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos won't start up after update 10.15.6

Hello, last Thursday I updated my iMac 2017 with Catalina 10.15.6. Now Photos won't start up. I restarted the iMac, but that didn't help. Is anyone familiar with this issue? And is there a solution for it?

I would be great full to hear about it.

Greatings, Bieuwe

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 9:59 AM

What happens, when you try to start Photos? DO you get an error message? If yes, what is the message?

How are you trying to start Photos? if you are using the Dock icon or a saved alias on the Desktop, try to start photos directly by clicking Photos in the Applications folder. This way you will ensure, that the updated version from 10.15.6 will be launched and not some older version.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 9:59 AM in response to BCoup

What happens, when you try to start Photos? DO you get an error message? If yes, what is the message?

How are you trying to start Photos? if you are using the Dock icon or a saved alias on the Desktop, try to start photos directly by clicking Photos in the Applications folder. This way you will ensure, that the updated version from 10.15.6 will be launched and not some older version.

photos won't start up after update 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.