Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lg ultrafine display 5k 27 microphone static

Has anyone experienced static in the outgoing audio when using the built-in microphone of the LG Ultrafine Display 5K 27 monitor? Purchased new MacBook Pro and that monitor about 3 weeks ago. Participants on WEBEX and Zoom meetings reported static in my audio when using LG Monitor mic, not present when using built-in MacBook Pro mic. Using robust looking Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the LG monitor. The monitor video display is excellent, the built-in camera takes a find picture - adequate for online meetings. All the Apple stores (including the one at which I bought my items) within a 4 hour drive are closed due to COVID constraints.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2020 10:51 AM

I've tested the audio with the LG mic, the MacBook Pro mic, and external mic (iPhone earbuds with mic) with both Zoom and WEBEX, and the static is always present with the LG mic, never present with the MBP mic or the external mic. I called LG and they've sent me an authorization to return the monitor. I've only had the monitor for 3 weeks but I can't return it to the Apple Store at which I bought it - about 40 miles away - because it and all the other Apple stores within about a 4 hour drive are closed due to covid-19 constraints (I'm in SC). You're pretty much on your own in these circumstances. There's a "warning" on the Apple web site, but it's hard to believe you can spend $1200 on a product promoted by Apple on the Apple Store website as the perfect accessory for your new MacBook Pro and then be sent to the manufacturer for resolution of your problem. In the future, I would not recommending buying any expensive accessory from Apple that is not branded Apple. A real wake-up call for a guy that has bought at least one of every consumer product Apple has made since about 2004.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2020 10:51 AM in response to bobh803

I've tested the audio with the LG mic, the MacBook Pro mic, and external mic (iPhone earbuds with mic) with both Zoom and WEBEX, and the static is always present with the LG mic, never present with the MBP mic or the external mic. I called LG and they've sent me an authorization to return the monitor. I've only had the monitor for 3 weeks but I can't return it to the Apple Store at which I bought it - about 40 miles away - because it and all the other Apple stores within about a 4 hour drive are closed due to covid-19 constraints (I'm in SC). You're pretty much on your own in these circumstances. There's a "warning" on the Apple web site, but it's hard to believe you can spend $1200 on a product promoted by Apple on the Apple Store website as the perfect accessory for your new MacBook Pro and then be sent to the manufacturer for resolution of your problem. In the future, I would not recommending buying any expensive accessory from Apple that is not branded Apple. A real wake-up call for a guy that has bought at least one of every consumer product Apple has made since about 2004.

Jul 22, 2020 8:50 AM in response to bobh803

Hello bobh803,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you’re experiencing a static noise during outgoing audio when using the built-on microphone of the LG UltraFine Display.

Being heard clearly is important, we’d be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Below is a resource that can help:

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Resetting the NVRAM/PRAM can help issues with sound.

If the issue still persists after resetting PRAM/NVRAM and the built-in microphone on your Mac is functioning normally, we’d advise reaching out to LG for further assistance:

LG Support

Have a great day!

lg ultrafine display 5k 27 microphone static

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.