Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to add a Divide in a simple fumula ?

Simple question please :

I want to add a percents to the third column

Cant insert the / mark , it's always + instead of /

Any advise will be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2020 11:43 PM

Hi rony,

Actually it's not. Take a closer look:

Numbers automatically replaces the division operator ( / ) in formulas with a division sign ( ÷ ). Unfortunately, there is so little separation between the horizontal stroke and the two dots, one above and the other below that line that many users had a question similar to yours when the change was first made.

Numbers also replaces the multiplication operator ( * ) with a multiplication sign ( × ), not to be confused with a lower case letter x (letter-> x, × <- multiplication sign). Surprisingly, that change didn't generate 10% of the questions that the division sign did.

Regards,

Barry

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2020 11:43 PM in response to rony-z

Hi rony,

Actually it's not. Take a closer look:

Numbers automatically replaces the division operator ( / ) in formulas with a division sign ( ÷ ). Unfortunately, there is so little separation between the horizontal stroke and the two dots, one above and the other below that line that many users had a question similar to yours when the change was first made.

Numbers also replaces the multiplication operator ( * ) with a multiplication sign ( × ), not to be confused with a lower case letter x (letter-> x, × <- multiplication sign). Surprisingly, that change didn't generate 10% of the questions that the division sign did.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 19, 2020 12:49 AM in response to rony-z

Thanks for the heads up! I went straight to replying to your previous post and missed the PS.

You wrote:

"How can I automatically see the percentage value in column G2 FROM B2 If I will add data in columns E2 F2 ?

I want to add data and see the results in percentage "

Percentage of what?

B2 contains the value 5

5 is 100% of the value in B2

5 is 20% of the total value in B2 and C2.

5 is about 9.1% of the total value in cells B2, C2 and D2, and about 9.1% of the current value in cells B2 to F2.

If the last one in the list fits what you need, the formula is the one shown below the table:

The result is a fraction (0.09090909…

The cells Data format is set to Percentage, with 2 places after the decimal, and displays that fraction as seen in cell G2.

That percentage will decrease when positive values are entered in E2 and F2,, increasing the total.

Regards,

Barry

How to add a Divide in a simple fumula ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.